Today would be my dad's birthday...

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,116
Steam
mattressfish
Today would be my father’s birthday, except I lost him to brain cancer on Tuesday. It hasn’t even been a week and I already miss him terribly. He was a great man who touched many lives and I’ve made a promise to myself to be as warm and kind of a person as he was to everyone. That’s my plan to keep him alive in my heart.

He was diagnosed with type four Glioblastoma multiforme in November 2006. The tumor was removed in December 2006. After many radiation and chemotherapy treatments, his treatment schedule ended around December of 2007. Then he was given the horrible news that his tumor was finally regrowing in March of this year. He vowed to fight it, but he was a tired and broken man at that point.

He was rushed to the emergency room last weekend unable to breathe. Turns out he had pneumonia and was put on a respirator. Monday night he asked for the respirator to be removed, knowing full well that it was likely to kill him. It seemed he didn’t want to live anymore only to die a week or a month from now from brain cancer. I and the rest of my family was by his side as he took his last breath.

Losing him is simply horrible. Horrible. I don’t wish it upon anyone else, which is where I would like your help. People have asked if I needed donations for this site before. I still don’t want donations, but if you can spare a few dollars I would like to ask you to please donate money for brain cancer research at Johns Hopkins. The staff at Johns Hopkins was top notch and gave my father much more life than the average brain cancer patient could hope for. He lived for over 18 months after diagnosis and 11 months is the average. That extra time allowed me to make sure I enjoyed every moment with him and I am eternally grateful.

Please check out the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center here: http://www.hopkinskimmelcancercenter.org/

And here is a direct link to the contributions page: https://jhweb.dev.jhu.edu/eforms/form.do?formId=2478
Under the section asking about the specifica physician or area of cancer reseach, please direct the money to Dr Grossman and/or brain cancer research. Thank you so very much.

My condolences. Cancer is a toughy, and it doesn't matter how many times you see it. It's still the most painful and horrendous of all diseases.

My thoughts are with you and your family. Very best wishes. :heart:

I'm so sorry to hear it. I think I know exactly what you are going through. Hopkins is a great hospital and research facility. What a worthy cause! I'm so glad you got to spend some quality time with your dad before he passed away. It's such a special thing. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.