Today is National Teacher Day

I wasn't homeschooled, but my folks did send me to this rather kick ass place up in Minnesota.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Thomas_Academy

I was with the 100th (as in Centennial) graduating class. Ceremony was held at the St. Paul Cathederal. Rather cool stuff.

ew, sounds like the place I went to for middle school...they gave us guns though which was kinda cool I guess :fly:
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albany_Academy[/ame]

ew, sounds like the place I went to for middle school...they gave us guns though which was kinda cool I guess :fly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albany_Academy

Oh yeah.

We had our own rifle range in the basement, and 2 quarters of each year we were required to take marksmanship as a credit. How fucking cool is that. Shooting guns, IN SCHOOL.

I fear they probably don't do that anymore because of the columbine crap, which is a shame. I got my marksmanship and sharpshooter medals, and was just a few points shy of getting expert.

We also had a rapelling tower. That was pretty bad ass.

I disagree. I took an entire semester that was all about shakespere. We had to read it, not in translated english, but in it's old english context. And translate it. Verbal analytical skills is a skill that I believe is far underated. Besides, not being a moron when someone speaks of MacBeth, Othello, First Night, Taming of the Shrew, or Hamlet doesn't suck.

I had to read the canterbury tales in ye olde english in 9th grade and I recently saw someone who was a senior in college struggling with it and they were on their last quarter before graduation with an english degree :waw:

Last edited:
Chaucer is hard man, it's probably easier when you're younger because it's phonetic. :p Plus it's one of those things that you either pick up very easily or find hard.

I wrote a ~5 page short story for a creative writing class in college that was done entirely in redneck, a la mark twain...that is a huge no no but I pulled it off so well my teacher told me I should try and get it published...believe it or not I know a thing or two about werds ;)

I wrote a ~5 page short story for a creative writing class in college that was done entirely in redneck, a la mark twain...that is a huge no no but I pulled it off so well my teacher told me I should try and get it published...believe it or not I know a thing or two about werds ;)

I did an english final exam in a combination of braille, semaphore, and morse code.

I think I got a 19 or something.

I hated Chaucer. I loved reading Shakespeare plays, though they were meant to be spoken. His comedies were especially brilliant. I wanted Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson do "Taming of the Shrew". They really connected on screen.

I have always been able to whip out a "B" paper without much effort

I hated Chaucer. I loved reading Shakespeare plays, though they were meant to be spoken. His comedies were especially brilliant. I wanted Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson do "Taming of the Shrew". They really connected on screen.

I always thought shakespeare was a twat...give me the illiad and the odyssey any day over that...homer>

I'm the opposite, love Chaucer don't really like Shakespeare. I like some of his individual sonnets and he was a very clever bloke and all it just doesn't translate to the modern time humour-wise etc. I do however love Emma Thompson, she's awesome.

Good Old Take Your Kids to School Day, take from st pete times:

Two more state prisons have acknowledged incidents in which guards zapped visiting children with handheld stun guns, bringing to three the number of facilities where the unapproved demonstration was used on "Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day."

On Friday, the Department of Corrections said that several kids visiting Franklin Correctional Institution in the Panhandle on April 24 were shocked by a guard who was demonstrating what corrections officers do at work. On Tuesday, the department revealed that children visiting Indian River Correctional Institution in Vero Beach and Martin Correctional Institution in Indiantown were also zapped with 50,000-volt electronic immobilization devices.

The devices used on the children, who are between the ages of 8 and 14, require bodily contact. Used on unruly inmates, the devices usually knock victims to the ground, cause a few minutes of disorientation and leave two small burn marks.

The daughter of the warden at Indian River was among the victims.

Frank Gonzalez, the owner of Self-Defense USA, a large stun gun company in San Diego, describes the 50,000-volt shock as "similar to grabbing a live wire in your house with a wet hand — like a hard punch in the stomach with the added trauma of electricity running through your body."

The Department of Corrections did not release the number of children, or their conditions or names. But Matthew Foster, an attorney for one of the children who was injured at Franklin, said that more than six children were shocked at that facility.

His client, a 12-year-old girl, sustained abrasions and trauma when the powerful jolt knocked her to the ground, requiring a doctor's treatment, said Foster, who asked that neither the child nor her father be named. Her mother works at the prison and gave permission for the demonstration, according to Foster, but the father, who is separated from the mother, did not approve and has sued.

"These devices are designed for stopping dangerous prisoners and can cause injury or death," Foster said. "They are not for experimenting on children."

Upon hearing rumors that Franklin was not an isolated incident, George Sapp, deputy secretary of institutions for the Department of Corrections, began calling wardens around the state. His survey turned up two more similar incidents on the same day, said Gretl Plessinger, a corrections spokeswoman.

Ten employees — five at Indian River, which incarcerates teenage males between 14 and 18, and five at Martin, which incarcerates adult males — have been suspended while the incidents are investigated. At Franklin, a guard was fired last week.

Plessinger said it appeared the three incidents were "separate and unrelated," with no coordination or planning linking them. But the possibility will receive further scrutiny, she said.

"There are very clear rules about when, where and who these devices are to be used on, and all officers are clearly trained in this. So, we don't yet know how this could have happened at three facilities on the same day," Plessinger said.

The suspended employees at Martin and Indian River did not return phone calls from the Times.

State Rep. Julio Robaina, R-Miami, chairman of the House Council on Criminal and Civil Justice Policy, said he and other legislators will be watching to see what the Correction Department investigation determines.

"If we think the department is not thorough and is taking care of its own, we'll step in," Robaina said. "But first Walt McNeil (secretary of the Department of Corrections) deserves the chance to handle this internally."

The 10 suspended employees, who are on administrative leave with pay, received a letter telling them that when the investigation is completed they will either be notified of their return date or told not to come back to work.

Good Old Take Your Kids to School Day, take from st pete times:

Two more state prisons have acknowledged incidents in which guards zapped visiting children with handheld stun guns, bringing to three the number of facilities where the unapproved demonstration was used on "Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day."

On Friday, the Department of Corrections said that several kids visiting Franklin Correctional Institution in the Panhandle on April 24 were shocked by a guard who was demonstrating what corrections officers do at work. On Tuesday, the department revealed that children visiting Indian River Correctional Institution in Vero Beach and Martin Correctional Institution in Indiantown were also zapped with 50,000-volt electronic immobilization devices.

The devices used on the children, who are between the ages of 8 and 14, require bodily contact. Used on unruly inmates, the devices usually knock victims to the ground, cause a few minutes of disorientation and leave two small burn marks.

The daughter of the warden at Indian River was among the victims.

Frank Gonzalez, the owner of Self-Defense USA, a large stun gun company in San Diego, describes the 50,000-volt shock as "similar to grabbing a live wire in your house with a wet hand — like a hard punch in the stomach with the added trauma of electricity running through your body."

The Department of Corrections did not release the number of children, or their conditions or names. But Matthew Foster, an attorney for one of the children who was injured at Franklin, said that more than six children were shocked at that facility.

His client, a 12-year-old girl, sustained abrasions and trauma when the powerful jolt knocked her to the ground, requiring a doctor's treatment, said Foster, who asked that neither the child nor her father be named. Her mother works at the prison and gave permission for the demonstration, according to Foster, but the father, who is separated from the mother, did not approve and has sued.

"These devices are designed for stopping dangerous prisoners and can cause injury or death," Foster said. "They are not for experimenting on children."

Upon hearing rumors that Franklin was not an isolated incident, George Sapp, deputy secretary of institutions for the Department of Corrections, began calling wardens around the state. His survey turned up two more similar incidents on the same day, said Gretl Plessinger, a corrections spokeswoman.

Ten employees — five at Indian River, which incarcerates teenage males between 14 and 18, and five at Martin, which incarcerates adult males — have been suspended while the incidents are investigated. At Franklin, a guard was fired last week.

Plessinger said it appeared the three incidents were "separate and unrelated," with no coordination or planning linking them. But the possibility will receive further scrutiny, she said.

"There are very clear rules about when, where and who these devices are to be used on, and all officers are clearly trained in this. So, we don't yet know how this could have happened at three facilities on the same day," Plessinger said.

The suspended employees at Martin and Indian River did not return phone calls from the Times.

State Rep. Julio Robaina, R-Miami, chairman of the House Council on Criminal and Civil Justice Policy, said he and other legislators will be watching to see what the Correction Department investigation determines.

"If we think the department is not thorough and is taking care of its own, we'll step in," Robaina said. "But first Walt McNeil (secretary of the Department of Corrections) deserves the chance to handle this internally."

The 10 suspended employees, who are on administrative leave with pay, received a letter telling them that when the investigation is completed they will either be notified of their return date or told not to come back to work.

This happens when you hire people at minimum wage

Prison guards are the people who couldnt pass the police exam (here in NY anyway).