Ontopic To piggyback on the gun thread, why don't the prisons work?

Prisons don't work because you don't bother rehabilitating, you're too hellbent on vengeance whereas the Scandinavian system works much more efficiently and cuts reoffending rates because they're not interested in 'revenge' for crimes, just actually stopping them from happening again in an effective manner.

Is there actually anything to discuss here? It's pretty common knowledge which systems work and which ones don't.

I wouldn't really call it punishment here. Its just a time sink. Maybe its not the prisons at all. Could just be the culture. Isn't Denmark a pretty well off country? Maybe there isn't the poverty there that drives people to commit crimes. I really have no idea and am as usual, talking out my ass.

Prisons don't work because you don't bother rehabilitating, you're too hellbent on vengeance whereas the Scandinavian system works much more efficiently and cuts reoffending rates because they're not interested in 'revenge' for crimes, just actually stopping them from happening again in an effective manner.

Is there actually anything to discuss here? It's pretty common knowledge which systems work and which ones don't.

Yet what happens in the prison system is only one part of the system. Frivolous charges are part of the problem.
And say we do change to rehabilitation, how are we going to separate those that have been indoctrinated to the system of perpetual violence within the prison system from those going into the system as first time offenders?

Denmark doesn't have the large scale institutional poverty combined with drug related crime that you do. They don't therefore, have a whole swathe of people who will almost certainly never have any real hope of getting a job and changing their situation. What awaits the average con in the US when he gets out of prison? He won't have improved himself, and his chances of getting an honest income are probably quite slim. Any wonder they just go back to the same behaviour?

Not everyone can be rehabilitated, and allot just aren't worth the effort.

It also is a punishment, you can't eliminate that aspect of it. are Danish prisons nice? Do they have 3 squares and cable?

Maybe people go back to our prisons because they really aren't that bad, and they certainly have it better than those in the streets and allot less stress compared to those living paycheck to paycheck and working their ass off to live in their own type of prison.

Not everyone can be rehabilitated, and allot just aren't worth the effort.

It also is a punishment, you can't eliminate that aspect of it. are Danish prisons nice? Do they have 3 squares and cable?

Maybe people go back to our prisons because they really aren't that bad, and they certainly have it better than those in the streets and allot less stress compared to those living paycheck to paycheck and working their ass off to live in their own type of prison.

this shows the problem in a nutshell, they may not be worth it but society is and it suffers when they repeat crime over and over, people here always focus on the prisoner and how they deserve very little losing site of "deserves got nothing to do with it" if they rehabilitate, they can benefit society or at the very least not worsen it...repeat criminals do the opposite

The stories I hear about prison and how horrible they can be mean I would not wish it on my worst enemy.