To my fellow introverts and extroverts

sabrina

Flaccid Member
Jan 30, 2007
Marklar
₥0
First off, before I begin to write this, I must mention that I do not claim to be a completely introverted person. I enjoy the company of other human beings very much. Yet every once in a while I want nothing more than to stay at home and finish a book, draw, write, work on my photographs, and do other “me” things. Does that make me a sociopath? I hope not!

Personally, I think that introverts are very misunderstood creatures. People tend to assume that if one stays home alone on a Saturday night, they must be miserable and unhappy. Well, perhaps some people tend to stay home when they are, but that doesn’t mean that every person that does must be. Being introverted doesn’t mean that you have some kind of mental disorder, it’s just a less common personality type that craves some alone time after a lot of social interaction.

Take tonight, for example. Here I am, sitting here alone, writing this, after making about a million excuses to my friends ranging from the fact that I’ve been “wearing these jeans for, like, a week” to “my hair looks funny”, feeling guilty that I really just want to relax by myself a bit, as though I’m breaking some unwritten law by not going out on a Saturday night. And yet I am feeling perfectly content being here. I’m sure they’re having a kick-ass time, and I’m sure on most any other night I would be right there with them, but at the moment, I feel I would enjoy myself much more right where I am.

So to all of my introverted friends out there: do what feels good! It’s alright to do all those “you” things you’ve been craving all week on the weekend and take a little rest from all the socializing you’ve been doing (or not, whatever).

And to all of my extroverted friends: I love you all, and I’ll be out there having a kick-ass time drinking and being rowdy another day.

Life’s too short to not do the things that you enjoy, be it with your fellow human beings or on your own.

Thanks for the reinforcement, but I seldom have any trouble staying in when I feel like it. Tonight I happen to have gone out, but whatever.

Although... perhaps you might consider, rather than making excuses for not going out, you might just say that you've decided to stay in tonight.

Thanks for the reinforcement, but I seldom have any trouble staying in when I feel like it. Tonight I happen to have gone out, but whatever.

Although... perhaps you might consider, rather than making excuses for not going out, you might just say that you've decided to stay in tonight.

That's what I was going to say. Even the most extroverted of people need some down time. I also find that the older I get the less I'm interested in going out and partying. Perhaps that makes me boring or old or both, but I really don't care. I love my Eileen time. Sometimes IBWIP and I don't even hang out together when we are at home together. It's important to take care of yourself in that way.

it's a comforting thing when you've learned that you need YOU time, and how rewarding that can be. everyone needs such down time, and there need not be any excuse for it. enjoy you like you enjoy others!

I'm extremely extroverted and most times can't sit still for any length of time. But today Drool is at a gun show and I am home alone in the silence and I love it! I needed it!

http://www.amazon.com/Introvert-Adv..._bbs_sr_1/102-6004187-7335312?ie=UTF8&s=books

A good book if you don't know if you are introverted or not. It also helped me realize I may have social anxiety.

Nah, I'm honestly pretty extroverted and definitely don't have any form of social anxiety. I have a job for which I have to be extremely social and outgoing, and I enjoy it. I just felt like writing that last night because it seems like our society pushes us to be a certain way and "you" time is considered a bad thing.

I agree, I just wrote that as more of a statement about how society views introverted people rather than anything extremely personal. The idea to write it came from talking to a friend who considers himself an introvert.

Not interested in that, especially when other drugs that were supposed to do the same thing didn't help a bit. I've tried sorting it out myself but I'm only getting so far so I'm going to see a shrink on it soon after I figure out how much insurance will cover. Most are $100-150 a session!

Ironman likes to stay in, and I like to go out. We pretty much end up staying in most of the time though, not just because it's what he wants, but because there's not really much to go out and do. The only "going out" I really do is to concerts. I loooove concerts (especially for bands I'm completely and madly in love with) but Ironman hates them, we compromise by me going with someone else (_adam from genmay the past two times)
We're moving soon, though, and I guess where we're moving to has some decent night life (better than here, anyway) so maybe if I make a friend there or something I'll actually go out :p

meh. going out is over rated. I never understood the appeal of going out and getting hammered at a bar at the cost of your wallet being lighter by a good amount the next day.

(yes, drinking is the only thing to do around here)

meh. going out is over rated. I never understood the appeal of going out and getting hammered at a bar at the cost of your wallet being lighter by a good amount the next day.

(yes, drinking is the only thing to do around here)

Well, the nice thing about bars is the potential for interesting conversation with people who you would otherwise never speak to. Hotel bars and dive bars are particularly good for this. Like, one time I was swilling beer in some hick bar in Cedar Rapids, Iowa having this crazy old man next to me explain how the federal government was stealing all the good topsoil to sell to foreign interests.

Well, the nice thing about bars is the potential for interesting conversation with people who you would otherwise never speak to. Hotel bars and dive bars are particularly good for this. Like, one time I was swilling beer in some hick bar in Cedar Rapids, Iowa having this crazy old man next to me explain how the federal government was stealing all the good topsoil to sell to foreign interests.
Hotel bars. Now there is an interesting idea.
I too, love going to 'townie' bars in different cities and learning bizarre things about local culture.

I love going out once in a while, and once I'm out drinking and talking it's near impossible to get me to stop :fly:

Otherwise, I enjoy sitting at home working on planes or vegetating. And I _always_ prefer to work alone.
So how has the bike riding weather been?