To kill or not to kill: Shelter Dogs : - (

Pandora said:
I've always supported euthanasia. If I had to live out the remainder of my life in a cage (or hospital) then I'd want to be put out of my misery. Life isn't always about having a pulse, it's about quality too. And some pets just aren't adoptable. They began their life chained out in someones backyard, with little socialization, or were absued...and they will forever carry those scars with them. Very VERY few people are willing to tolerate the behavioral problems caused by this, which is why these pets are surrendered in the first place.

We had to work with our shihtzu because she had a few behavior problems when we adopted her (and still does). But I prefer adopting an adult rather than purchasing a puppy because I'd rather let an animal life out the rest of their days in a good home, rather than being euthanized. I could buy a puppy, or save a dogs life (adopt). Cuz if I don't adopt then who will? Puppies can always be sold. But you can't always assume someone else will solve the problem. I choose to be part of the solution of shelter overpopulation, which is why I adopt. :) Hell, the same could also be said for my choice to not have kids. ;)

I will always adopt. It's the least I can do to help out unless I win the lottery in which case when I die I'm leaving it all the the Humane Society :D

Candy said:
I live to one day open a shelter. It really is a sad, sad, place. The documentary shelter really made an effort to brighten up the walls, give them lots of bedding, and old furniture. Not to shabby for a shelter I guess. The woman who ownes it is a friggin' saint.
It really burns me when people up and get rid of their pets like that too... my mom did that all through my childhood... she'd want a pet, so she'd go nuts getting some... and then move to a new house and not want to deal with the animal so she'd get rid of it... only to find like 6 months later that she was lonely and then she'd get another one. Come to think of it, she got rid of like 4 cats and 2 dogs that way, that I can remember off the top of my head. I don't understand people like that. My ex mother in law actually had a puppy put down because she couldn't house train it. Then I have people who can't fathom the fact that my cats are 10, 9 and 3 and I've had them all since they were kittens, "Omg you've had the same cats for that long?"

Sometimes I really hate humans.

zengirl said:
ugh... SchmilK and I went to our local Save a Pet, where we got our 2 most recent kitties. I wanted to visit the doggies.

It was so sad, out of a bad horror movie. It was cold, dank, they had these tiny concrete cells, and just a pathetic existence. I wanted to take all of them home just so they didn't have to be sad anymore.

Ideally, one day we're going to buy a farm and adopt a bunch of animals. Breaks my heart, really :(

That's kinda like petstores to me too tho. You walk in and see all these cute little puppies and kitties. The store looks warm and inviting...but you know their parents are stuck in a cage somewhere, unloved... popping out more babies for people to buy. It's so heartbreaking to even think about it. I can't even go into those stores that sell animals because it pisses me off so badly. We think our shihtzu was a puppymill rescue, because of some of her behavioral problems. So a least one puppymill dog found a nice home that loves her. :heart:

Pandora said:
That's kinda like petstores to me too tho. You walk in and see all these cute little puppies and kitties. The store looks warm and inviting...but you know their parents are stuck in a cage somewhere, unloved... popping out more babies for people to buy. It's so heartbreaking to even think about it. I can't even go into those stores that sell animals because it pisses me off so badly. We think our shihtzu was a puppymill rescue, because of some of her behavioral problems. So a least one puppymill dog found a nice home that loves her. :heart:
I hate when you see all the puppies sleeping and you know they're drugged

zengirl said:
Sometimes I really hate humans.

Yep; me too. At least with people they can (MOST adults anyway) control their own destiny and take care of themselves. At least they are supposed to and most are given the tools to do so. Animals are helpless; they are at our mercy. I have had my babies (2 of them anyway) for 11 YEARS! I can't imagine life without them; nor can I imagine their life without me. It's nice to see others share my opinion; I know my parents and some friends think I'm nuts but I don't care - I can't help how I feel...:heart:

Pandora said:

I refuse to go into a petstore and "purchase" a dog. I know many, many people who have had petstore dogs and have had the same problems over and over. Many people who end up with these petstore dogs get frustrated and either mistreat their pet, put it to sleep, or take it to the shelter. Your baby is very lucky to have you guys! :heart:

Candy said:
Yeah, I watched the show before the Rose bowl and before Shawn came home from work. The show was much more entertaining IMO.

All I had to do was wait for her to pass out. I caught almost the entire 2nd half.

Candy said:
I refuse to go into a petstore and "purchase" a dog.

Who knew? Republican AND Jewish...

The old Jewish conundrum comes to mind:

What do you do with a free ham sandwich?

Candy said:
I refuse to go into a petstore and "purchase" a dog. I know many, many people who have had petstore dogs and have had the same problems over and over. Many people who end up with these petstore dogs get frustrated and either mistreat their pet, put it to sleep, or take it to the shelter. Your baby is very lucky to have you guys! :heart:

Oh I go farther than that. If a petstore sells puppies/kittens I don't give them any of my business PERIOD. I only shop at stores that support adoption. :D

Drool-Boy said:
Greyhounds are great dogs. Very gentle and docile. Unless theres a fuckin rabbit nearby:mad:
Theres a greyhound race track just south of here with an adoption program for retired race dogs, which is pretty cool since a race dogs career lasts only like 2-3 years, IIRC.

My wife's aunt owns 2 greyhounds. At her house, in the fenced yard, there's a sign with a picture of a greyhound in it saying, "I can make it to the back fence door in 1.6 seconds. How fast can you get there" :fly"