To anyone who paid attention to the NFL guys on the capsized boat in TPA

Bottom line they did not have the proper equipment to be that far out. They didn't have the proper safety equipment and their anchor line was extremely to short which causes boats to capsize in waves.

Personally if I'm ever out of sight of the shoreline I prefer to take an inflatable raft for emergencies.

Personally if I'm ever out of sight of the shoreline I prefer to take an inflatable raft for emergencies.
that's good advice. just remember: never abandon ship until you have to step UP into the liferaft. a lot of the fatalities during the '79 fastnet were the result of people leaving perfectly good boats because they felt they were rolling too much to be safe. in at least one instance an entire crew was lost, save one, after taking to the liferaft. Their abandoned sailboat was recovered the next day floating along just fine.

There's another one where a crew mate was left for dead on board. the crew in the liferaft died, the guy on the boat survived.

Last edited:
They said for the depth of the water that far out (120ft) that you would want at least 200ft plus of anchor line to allow for you boat to ride the waves. In those conditions they were in it was suggested to have around 300ft plus they boat only had 150ft. So basically their line would have been tight the entire time forcing a capsize.

They said for the depth of the water that far out (120ft) that you would want at least 200ft plus of anchor line to allow for you boat to ride the waves. In those conditions they were in it was suggested to have around 300ft plus they boat only had 150ft. So basically their line would have been tight the entire time forcing a capsize.
yes, 2:1 is close to the minimum for anything beyond perfect conditions. what they could have done instead is take the anchor and chain off the end and just let the line out in a big loop (with both ends tied to the boat, one on end to each side of the bow) to provide drag and keep it pointed perpendicular to the waves.

yes, 2:1 is close to the minimum for anything beyond perfect conditions. what they could have done instead is take the anchor and chain off the end and just let the line out in a big loop (with both ends tied to the boat, one on end to each side of the bow) to provide drag and keep it pointed perpendicular to the waves.

That's the same rule I was taught for a descent/ascent line when diving.