Tis a dark day for gamers

"Ultimately, we're trying to protect consumers from being sold hardware that:

1. does not conform to strict EU or UK consumer safety standards, due to voltage supply differences et cetera;
2. is not - in PS3's case - backwards compatible with either PS1 or PS2 software;
3. will not play European Blu-Ray movies or DVDs; and
4. will not be covered by warranty."

Their reasoning is crap. People who import consoles and games understand the risks and limitations. This is just a power play to protect a revenue stream.

Explain. Were they cheaper from this company or what?

By the time you figured in shipping, not really. Not enough to matter. Mostly people imported games from Asia to Europe because Europe always end up on the ass end of releases. They are months and sometimes a year behind other countries. You also get games that are only released in Asia and never see the light of day in the rest of the world. People would import those kinds of things as well.

My personal fav :
"Furthermore, Sony have failed to disclose to the London High Court that not only the world wide gaming community in more than 100 countries relied on Lik-Sang for their gaming needs, but also Sony Europe's very own top directors repeatedly got their Sony PSP hard or software imports in nicely packed Lik-Sang parcels with free Lik-Sang Mugs or Lik-Sang Badge Holders, starting just two days after Japan's official release, as early as 14th of December 2004 (more than nine months earlier than the legal action). The list of PSP related Sony Europe orders reads like the who's who of the videogames industry, and includes Ray Maguire (Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Alan Duncan (UK Marketing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Chris Sorrell (Creative Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Rob Parkin (Development Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited), just to name a few."
Proof of how fucked up Sony is. Their own European execs had to rely on Lik-Sang in order to get product near its debut launch in Japan.

By the time you figured in shipping, not really. Not enough to matter. Mostly people imported games from Asia to Europe because Europe always end up on the ass end of releases. They are months and sometimes a year behind other countries. You also get games that are only released in Asia and never see the light of day in the rest of the world. People would import those kinds of things as well.

My personal fav :

Proof of how fucked up Sony is. Their own European execs had to rely on Lik-Sang in order to get product near its debut launch in Japan.

So you no brai a Praystrashrun Tree?

So you no brai a Praystrashrun Tree?

As soon as I find someone to buy this kidney, maybe.

A $5k investment in hardware needed to make that system worth it (1080 native TV, decent surround speakers, receiver, the system itself with controllers) is fucking retarded considering the average amount of time I have to play games.

i resolved to never buy a sony product again over a year ago. I really, really hate them and was happy to see the ginormous battery recall hurt them so much.

This is like people who bitch about only being able to buy Stihl chainsaws at Stihl dealerships. It's the company's own product, they can fuck themselves if they want to.