Time to get my fat ass back in shape.

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
I'm looking for a good recumbent bike for my living room so I can get my fat ass back in shape for hockey season. I currently have one that is a total piece of garbage, and if I can't sit on it for more than 15 minutes without my ass going numb it won't do me much good.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $500 or so, but I need it to be well made for the amount of punishment I intend to put it through. (1-2 hours a night of straight cycling, with 3 hours after I melt off some of this gut in a month or so). I melted the drive belt off my last one after an 80-mile session, and again, my current replacement is crap.

Any help would be appreciated.

edit: also, how do I get the ghastly odor out of old workout shoes? My favorite shoes, my Adidas Sambas, are so foul that my feet actually make my carpet stink after I take them off. I about died last night and had to use half a bottle of Febreze. I used to wear them to work out and I'd put my sweaty feet in them after hockey practices and such, and I think they've become sentient at this point.

I'm thinking if I fill a bucket with Pine-Sol and water and let them baste for a couple days it should do the trick. That stuff is prett industrial strength. Obviously I don't want to use bleach or other powerful chemicals because I don't want to kill my shoes.

Last edited:
I know nothing about bikes, but Pine-Sol is good for alot of strange household chores and I think soaking your shoes will be fine. They make it in various "flavors" these days, but I don't know if the dyes used for coloring will be ok. I have only used the original scent.

b_sinning said:
Get new shoes. Once they start to stink it only gets worse.

Can't you mount one of those big comfotable bike seats on lots of exercise bikes?

But I love my Sambas. :( I will nuke them, and if that doesn't work I'll put them out by the curb and play Taps.

I was looking at my POS bike last night and I guess I could rig up a new seat easily enough, or even make my own. But I'd also like one with heart rate monitors and magnetic resistance, since mine is like a post-Civil War 1870s model. Ever since I saw what prolonged friction does to resistance belts I've decided magnetic is the way to go. I was just hoping someone would have experience with them or maybe owns one they like.

Get one second hand. Every x-mas/New year people buy them like crazy and by July they've rode them about 3 times and you can buy them for 1/5 the price the other person paid.

Sarcasmo said:
That's where I bought the one I've got now. :fly: They never seem to have many options, like they've been picked over by the time I get there.

can you have them call you if something decent comes in?
also, check the paper

b_sinning said:
I'd get one out of your local paper or pennysaver. When you go to the person's house, if a fat person answers the door then you can haggle.

You sir, are a genius.