time to circle the wagons RIM

ChikkenNoodul said:
I wonder what percentage of RIM's 2 million users are corporate Lotus Notes users, I imagine it has to be pretty high.

we use exchange/outlook with our blackberry setup actually

That's actually kinda neat that the wireless part will be included with Exchange. I'm sure that there will be corporations out there that won't want to rely on windows portable devices though. Blackberries are pretty popular already and from what I've seen, the people who use them love them. I'm sure in the end this will hurt RIM's market share, but I don't think it'll be as drastic as they make it out to be in that article.

When I see rim I think of one thing, and only one thing.

CletusJones said:
That's actually kinda neat that the wireless part will be included with Exchange. I'm sure that there will be corporations out there that won't want to rely on windows portable devices though. Blackberries are pretty popular already and from what I've seen, the people who use them love them. I'm sure in the end this will hurt RIM's market share, but I don't think it'll be as drastic as they make it out to be in that article.
Will it hurt it now? Probably not so much. Revisit them in 5 years tho...

fly said:
Will it hurt it now? Probably not so much. Revisit them in 5 years tho...

agreed...it will take another handheld product cycle or maybe 2 and that could be all she wrote for RIM

why_ask_why said:
agreed...it will take another handheld product cycle or maybe 2 and that could be all she wrote for RIM
Not necessarily. Plenty of people out there love their current devices, and the upcoming devices for those platforms will probably catch their eye more so than a new fancy MS powered device. Most of the people I know who use non-ms devices are pretty hooked on them the way they are, regardless.

CletusJones said:
Not necessarily. Plenty of people out there love their current devices, and the upcoming devices for those platforms will probably catch their eye more so than a new fancy MS powered device. Most of the people I know who use non-ms devices are pretty hooked on them the way they are, regardless.
But I'd guess that businesses pay for most Blackberries. How much will they be willing to pay when M$ will give it to them for free?

fly said:
But I'd guess that businesses pay for most Blackberries. How much will they be willing to pay when M$ will give it to them for free?
I'd think that the cost of the device and the quantity of them being used would factor in here as well. If the "M$" device is cheaper and they get the interface for free, then I could see them switching. However, if the blackberry (or similar) can fit the bill for less money even with the RIM software, I think they'll keep the marketshare.

Bottom line is that most businesses will choose the cheapest possible alternative. If MS can be the cheapest out there, they'll win. again.

CletusJones said:

the devices have to move forward in terms of tech offerings, i.e., video phone, satellite tv, etc...the current devices will not be what people are using when they will be offered so much more by that time...whoever offers that stuff in a convenient and easy to use package will be the winner, period...it's hard to bet against MS in a situation like this

ChikkenNoodul said:
Shit, we get Blackberries for free - it's the software cost that kills ya, and the service charge which will never go away

you guys get your BB's for free?? we have 1000's of them and pay for every single device :confused:

why_ask_why said:
the devices have to move forward in terms of tech offerings, i.e., video phone, satellite tv, etc...the current devices will not be what people are using when they will be offered so much more by that time...whoever offers that stuff in a convenient and easy to use package will be the winner, period...it's hard to bet against MS in a situation like this
Sadly, I think you're right.