Ontopic Time frame after a death

HifiGirly

Half-staff Member
Nov 16, 2004
Ohio
Marklar
₥0
My grandmother died 6 years ago. 6 months before she died we had moved in with her to take care of her (my husband, kids and I as well as my mother). She passed away unexpectedly and we had done quite a bit of work to the house so we decided to stay here and my husband and I are buying the house from the estate. After she died family slowly took items they wanted, the dining room set, the China, the bedroom furniture, entertainement center, 150 year old piano, etc. As we got rid of things, like a couch or such we'd always offer it to the family.

We retained a few things here and there, a couple book cases, a pie safe, some end tables. Almost everything in the house now is furniture my husband and I had or have bought over the years. A few months after she died I asked family to come help sort her room and various things. We donated clothes, and boxed up all the items we wanted to keep. That same day my aunt took all of the boxes we had all packed to her house and said we could sort it later. 6 years and she has it all, jewelry, keepsakes etc. She is the oldest of my grandparents kids. Over the years she has mentioned and taken items here and there, she wanted Amber glass which I had given to another Aunt who hadn't taken much.

Now really there isn't much left in the house but Christmas Eve night she said oh I wonder where a specific cook book is. Well after my grandma passed away the cook books went to the garage for awhile. Eventually I sorted them and kept what I wanted and no one responded when I offered the cook books. Now it's been 6 years and my aunt declared she wants a specific book, which is on my shelf. I ignored her asking my mom and honestly my mom doesn't have a clue where it is, she doesn't cook. I'm sort of annoyed because this aunts family has taken way more than anyone (and it's not because the were in need). My one uncle took some books, my other aunt has the China, Amber glass and the tea set. This Aunts family took the antique piano, entertainment center, dining set, bedroom set, dining room mirror, office furniture etc.

I don't want to be mean about it but I'm tired of people declaring they want things. It's been 6 years. Had it not been that my husband and I bought the house it would have all been sorted and tossed years ago.

Is there a polite way to say please stop asking for things?

Just tell her, after 6 years, everything that could be handed out has been handed out, or kept. At this point, if it's in your house, they can assume you wanted to keep it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
I fuckin hate this situation. I'm in the opposite boat with my step-mom after my dad passed away in July. My dad had a bunch of Lionel toy trains from his childhood. He and I had a train table and nice setup when I was young. I asked my dad about the trains prior to his passing and he said he still had them somewhere. The train table was in the garage so I know that exists. I mentioned this to my step-mom after the funeral and she said she'd look for them and get them appraised. She also wanted to unload most of the furniture since she has 3 homes and was selling at least one of them. Great I thought because I'm looking to find my first home and would love to have some of the furniture from my childhood, stuff she said she didn't want/didn't like/etc. A month goes by and she told me she's given most of the furniture to her daughter (my step-sis) as her family was moving from Philly to New Orleans.

Haven't heard a peep from her since. Kind of grinding my gears too. Really want the trains mostly. Memories. And I don't want to ruin what is left of a relationship with her.

It seems that so many people are horrible and grasping after a death. Is it because of the loss, trying to hold onto something still here?... I don't know, but it is so groce to deal with.

I think I would ask about the trains in your situation. I would just say that your dad wanted you to have the trains and does she know where they are.

Sorry about your dad. I miss mine so much, especially over Christmas

I fuckin hate this situation. I'm in the opposite boat with my step-mom after my dad passed away in July. My dad had a bunch of Lionel toy trains from his childhood. He and I had a train table and nice setup when I was young. I asked my dad about the trains prior to his passing and he said he still had them somewhere. The train table was in the garage so I know that exists. I mentioned this to my step-mom after the funeral and she said she'd look for them and get them appraised. She also wanted to unload most of the furniture since she has 3 homes and was selling at least one of them. Great I thought because I'm looking to find my first home and would love to have some of the furniture from my childhood, stuff she said she didn't want/didn't like/etc. A month goes by and she told me she's given most of the furniture to her daughter (my step-sis) as her family was moving from Philly to New Orleans.

Haven't heard a peep from her since. Kind of grinding my gears too. Really want the trains mostly. Memories. And I don't want to ruin what is left of a relationship with her.

Go down there and get them or she'll sell them off.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Go down there and get them or she'll sell them off.
Agreed. I had to do this with my father because he was going to offload everything left of my mother's, including things like her childhood piano, Lionel train set, and other things. He had already sold her jewelry to pay for his new fiancee's engagement ring, which is just about the most motherfucking gross thing he's ever done in my lifetime that I've known him.

One of the things I've seen time and again, if a family member doesn't quickly respond to a request after a death you have to get your ass in gear and do it yourself if you really want it.

HiFi, there is no polite way to tell them at this time, so you might as well tell them to fuck off

Just tell everyone everything has been sorted and given away or tossed. i think this would've been acceptable after a year.

what you kept is yours.

and welcome back girly :p

• Gravy
Reactions: Coqui
Ugh. That shit is rough.

Tbh family that acts like that I wouldn't keep in my life I would get some sort of legal document stating that what is in the house I own and if they say anything else about it just let them know its legally yours and to kick bricks. Appeasin people gets you shit all over.

I love and miss my gramma ever single day.

She uses to give me her expensive Jewls and trinkets when she was alive and I still have them and hold them dear to me... however... after she died she left me pretty much everything including her home.
It's been pure hell for me as I want absolutely nothing of hers. All her belongings after her death have creeped me out. I can't even touch them.
I settled the estate last April and the home is 100% in my name (and kikos) and all I want to do is get rid of her shit and burn what's left over.
I don't really know why I feel this way but my whole family thinks I'm nuts. I've offered EVERYTHING I can to relatives and want nothing to do with what is left over.

I just feel super creeped out like I can still smell her scent in her belongings. They make me feel itchy and uncomfortable

I think I tried to explain this before and @helenabear and I had a good chat over it as she felt the opposite after her mama passed away before Christmas.

My parents make me feel so bad about this

My mom has a pillow case her grandma crochet when I was little and I lived it when my great gramma was alive but now it grosses me out and I toss it in the floor if I see it

I remember that chat @Maureen. We all grieve and deal with lost loved ones in totally different ways.

Personally after 6 years I would say "sorry all items were given out" and leave it at that. My great aunt gave me a ring that I eventually returned back to what I thought was the right line as her great grand daughter would appreciate it more than me. So unless it is something like that where it is your choice to pass on, I'd say so sorry and forget about it.

She uses to give me her expensive Jewls and trinkets when she was alive and I still have them and hold them dear to me... however... after she died she left me pretty much everything including her home.
It's been pure hell for me as I want absolutely nothing of hers. All her belongings after her death have creeped me out. I can't even touch them.
I settled the estate last April and the home is 100% in my name (and kikos) and all I want to do is get rid of her shit and burn what's left over.
I don't really know why I feel this way but my whole family thinks I'm nuts. I've offered EVERYTHING I can to relatives and want nothing to do with what is left over.

I just feel super creeped out like I can still smell her scent in her belongings. They make me feel itchy and uncomfortable

I think I tried to explain this before and @helenabear and I had a good chat over it as she felt the opposite after her mama passed away before Christmas.

My mom has a pillow case her grandma crochet when I was little and I lived it when my great gramma was alive but now it grosses me out and I toss it in the floor if I see it

you should have someone sort out the sentimental stuff for you and put it in storage for a few years. have an estate sell for the rest. in a few years if you still feel the same, go ahead and dump whatever's in the storage too.

when my grandma died i took a painting of hers and that was it. i didn't care for anything else, and my extended family just wanted anything valuable. luckily my grandma was the last connection to those people so i'll never have to deal with them again. :)

i can't bring myself to hanging the painting up, but someday i know i will.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
You cannot feel badly about how energy affects you.

My sister is legit haunted by my older cousin's troubles. She was disgusted by her on the day of her memorial. She was not embalmed and had simply been on ice. She didn't look nice. But she had also been on herion for ten years and her aorta dissected when she tried to come clean.

my sister and I both survived aortic dissection and she doesn't want to talk about Jessica at all. She even thinks I remind her of her and it has come between my sister and I because our energies make us uncomfortable. We are looking into how to get it under control. Meditation and yoga and therapy if necessary.

it's pretty uncommon but I share the same sentiment. the last thing I want from dead people is their stuff

But I don't have any legal standing. She's the executrix of his estate so pretty much she can do whatever she wants :(

as for @HifiGirly would your aunt be satisfied if you made copies of the recipes she wants out of the cookbook?
No she wants the actual book and it's one of the few I kept.