Ontopic Thoughts on the new push to basically ban the Confederate Flag

Should the Confederate Flag be removed and banned

• Yes it's a symbol of hate

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No it's just a flag representing Southern pride and history that people take out of context

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Floptical

Doesnt Read Thread Titles
Sep 1, 2006
Rockies
Marklar
₥34,710
In light of the shootings in SC there seems to be a very strong push again to remove the Confederate Flag from existence. I see this as another knee jerk reaction to the shootings no different than when they try to ban guns after an incident. I understand both sides of the argument but I think the remove it argument itself is the thing that is making the flag the symbol of hate they think it stands for. What do you think?

Okay I will admit it, I loved Dukes of Hazzard and if you take away my General Lee I will... I dunno just leave it be there please!!!!

Otherwise as bad as it is I don't give a flip if people fly it or put it on their pick-em-up truck. Just lets me know what kind of asshole they probably are ahead of time.

Okay I will admit it, I loved Dukes of Hazzard and if you take away my General Lee I will... I dunno just leave it be there please!!!!

Otherwise as bad as it is I don't give a flip if people fly it or put it on their pick-em-up truck. Just lets me know what kind of asshole they probably are ahead of time.

See that's my point. Does having the flag on anything at all mean you're a racist or does it mean your Southern because those things aren't exclusive.

I used to be of the "doesn't mean racism to everyone" camp. Still am, honestly.
That being said, it's time. It's done and it needs to be removed and relegated to a museum.

I'd be willing to bet that those people that want to ban the flag don't even have the slightest clue as to what the Confederacy was all about. then again, the people flying the Confederate flag probably don't either. there were so many great ideas that the Confederacy had, but they all have been forgotten because the focus was quickly transferred to the slavery issue.

Aren't they just banning it from government facilities? THAT I don't have a problem with. The Confederacy isn't our government. But if we tell the general public that they can't fly the Confederate flag, I get to tell my neighbors that they can't fly their Mexican flag.

• Gravy
Reactions: Casper
On the side of "it represents the horrible acts that were done under the flag" I ask how is it any different than say a cross, star of david, or any symbol at all? Should anything thing that someone associates with something bad be banned?

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
See that's my point. Does having the flag on anything at all mean you're a racist or does it mean your Southern because those things aren't exclusive.
I agree. It isn't always about being racist or narrow minded though I know it really can be. It all depends though. Show me a Charger with it painted on it, or a decal somewhere and I might just smile thinking of the show. Put it on a certain type of vehicle with other things pointing towards racist asshole and I'll think not so good of the person.

I don't get the need to fly it though, but sometimes I don't think it's all bad either.

Aren't they just banning it from government facilities? THAT I don't have a problem with. The Confederacy isn't our government. But if we tell the general public that they can't fly the Confederate flag, I get to tell my neighbors that they can't fly their Mexican flag.
Are they flying the American flag above it? Are they doing that with the Confederate flag?

I agree. It isn't always about being racist or narrow minded though I know it really can be. It all depends though. Show me a Charger with it painted on it, or a decal somewhere and I might just smile thinking of the show. Put it on a certain type of vehicle with other things pointing towards racist asshole and I'll think not so good of the person.

I don't get the need to fly it though, but sometimes I don't think it's all bad either.

I sometimes see it as no different than flying a State flag, sports team flag, or another countries flag.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel