Ontopic Thoughts on the Gov. bringing 2 Ebola infected people back into the US

What should been done with the 2 ebola infected citizens?

• Total voters
Is there an immunization I need?
there are (no approved) hemorrhagic fever virus vaccines (filo-viruses), that includes ebola

Now if it was Argentine hemorrhagic fever then there is a vaccine that is mostly effective. It's spread by mice in Argentina though. One species of mouse. One species of mouse that is chronically asymptomatically infected. That spreads it constantly.

Much like people who wont get flu shots with the flu.

• Gravy
Reactions: gee and Petunia
Why are people calling a doctor who was taking his temperature at least two times a day reckless for going outside? People are fucking stupid.

paranoia. Personally, I think if you're going to work on Ebola patients purposely, you should be in quarantine for the 21 days you step out of that job. 'Just in case.'

the whole 'trust me, I know how to suit up' doesn't sit so well.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
paranoia. Personally, I think if you're going to work on Ebola patients purposely, you should be in quarantine for the 21 days you step out of that job. 'Just in case.'

the whole 'trust me, I know how to suit up' doesn't sit so well.
Yes, except that:
* You can't transmit it if you don't have symptoms
* You have to swap fluid with someone who is showing symptoms

How about we just beat that into everyone's (including yours) head? :p

Yes, except that:

So what's up with the Nurses & Docs walking around with it? Did they 'swap fluids' as you suggest?

How about we take BETTER precautions and beat that into everyone's (including yours) head.

Yes, except that:

I dunno, I see a certain amount of practicality in it. Depends on how many people we're talking about, and how closely they worked with the ebolas

So what's up with the Nurses & Docs walking around with it? Did they 'swap fluids' as you suggest?

How about we take BETTER precautions and beat that into everyone's (including yours) head.
People touch their face 3.6 times per hour.

People aren't well drilled in wearing hazmat suits aren't thinking about where their hands are at all times. (Touch yourself with dirty gloves, touch clean hand to dirty glove to take it off, wipe sweat off forehead with dirty glove etc.) You are supposed to be conscious of every single movement (or at least that's what they teach in every hazmat class Ive ever had to do).

People who work in hospitals come into contact with more bodily fluids from more sick people than the average person (I assume).

Personal observation that doctors and nurses are the least hygienic people I've ever met. I've seen a nurse go from changing one patient's bed pan no gloves, to going and inserting a catheter in another patient, then going outside and smoking. That's literally shit -> piss -> hands in mouth.

Z, I totally get that. The thing is, if you're around something so infectious, while I respect how much effort and danger they're putting into their job, there needs to be some safety afterwards.

Doctors 'started' washing their hands ages ago when some European doc just happened to decide to wash his hands between patients and for some 'unknown reason at the time' no one could figure out why he had a considerably lower death rate and higher cure rate for patients.

I get that we're being told by what some would like to call 'Supreme Beings' that
but all that is is 'to the best of our knowledge' bullshit.

When Obama goes to the airport and starts french kissing all the passengers departing the plane deemed healthy enough to get on in Liberia in the first place, I'll relax slightly. Until then, I point to this 23 day old claim:

Obama said:
In the unlikely event that someone with Ebola does reach our shores, we’ve taken new measures so that we’re prepared here at home.

Z, I totally get that. The thing is, if you're around something so infectious, while I respect how much effort and danger they're putting into their job, there needs to be some safety afterwards.

Doctors 'started' washing their hands ages ago when some European doc just happened to decide to wash his hands between patients and for some 'unknown reason at the time' no one could figure out why he had a considerably lower death rate and higher cure rate for patients.
About the handwashing thing, I am mad serious. Handwashing only has 30% baseline compliance in healthcare workers and if someone is wearing a ring you might as well assume they are harboring MRSA.
Source: CDC Study 2002 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5116a1.htm#tab8

I get that we're being told by what some would like to call 'Supreme Beings' that

but all that is is 'to the best of our knowledge' bullshit.

When Obama goes to the airport and starts french kissing all the passengers departing the plane deemed healthy enough to get on in Liberia in the first place, I'll relax slightly. Until then, I point to this 23 day old claim:
So, you should be aware that he embraced and was very very close to Nina pham , the nurse that had ebola, about 4 days ago. it's basically the situation you described, except for worse. Since she actually had verified Ebola

AP_obama_pham_kab_141024_16x9_992.jpg

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014...of-Ebola-meets-President-Obama/9031414173287/

So, you should be aware that he embraced and was very very close to Nina pham , the nurse that had ebola, about 4 days ago. it's basically the situation you described, except for worse. Since she actually had verified Ebola

meaningless PR. even you say 'had'

"Nina Pham declared free of Ebola,"

French kiss the people deplaning from Liberia. All of them. ;)

we have doctors and nurses with it. Are you suggesting, because ObiWan hugged her there's not need for the hazmat suit?

annnnnd that's why I didnt bother to post about that despite it being on NPR like every hour today

meaningless PR. even you say 'had'

"Nina Pham declared free of Ebola,"

French kiss the people deplaning from Liberia. All of them. ;)

we have doctors and nurses with it. Are you suggesting, because ObiWan hugged her there's not need for the hazmat suit?
That might be the most idiotic thing I have heard

People touch their face 3.6 times per hour.

People aren't well drilled in wearing hazmat suits aren't thinking about where their hands are at all times. (Touch yourself with dirty gloves, touch clean hand to dirty glove to take it off, wipe sweat off forehead with dirty glove etc.) You are supposed to be conscious of every single movement (or at least that's what they teach in every hazmat class Ive ever had to do).

People who work in hospitals come into contact with more bodily fluids from more sick people than the average person (I assume).

Personal observation that doctors and nurses are the least hygienic people I've ever met. I've seen a nurse go from changing one patient's bed pan no gloves, to going and inserting a catheter in another patient, then going outside and smoking. That's literally shit -> piss -> hands in mouth.
Pretty much.

Most of the old school 'medics I've known don't even wear gloves since it removed them from the patient, and when you're doing that job, it's all about the patient.

All I've seen in pictures (Of the enterobola crisis) thus far have been class C at best suits, those are difficult to doff without exposing yourself, let alone wear as you describe.

I've worn class A's and there's no way your average hospital is going to have those, train their employees for it, and support the staffing that proper donning/doffing is going to require.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly