Thoughts on the femtocell

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
AT&T has very spotty coverage, but they are one of two GSM providers in the country and the only one that sells the iPhone, so chim and I went with them as our provider. Yesterday, chim linked me to this and got me thinking.

http://gizmodo.com/5364161/3g-microcells-carriers-want-you-to-pay-extra-to-fix-their-own-failures

We do not have very good reception at all in our condo, nor stable calling on the move because of the spotty connections, but this will help with the coverage because it acts like a repeater for the cell signal. Issue is, not only do you pay for the device, you additionally pay a month service AND use up your Internet bandwidth you are already paying for with someone else. All this to patch a hole in their spotty coverage in a metropolis.

Does this interest any of you? Thoughts?

Just like the article said, It sucks that you have to pay extra for the provider's inadequacy. Sprint has been offering this too. The thing that sucks is, the building I work in is the only place Sprint coverage doesn't work. (1-0 bars and occasionally lose signal)

I can't wait until Verizon picks up GSM frequencies. I am contemplating paying the $225 or whatever it is to get out of contract with AT&T just to go with Verizon I hate AT&T so much. And I am not alone.

I can't wait until Verizon picks up GSM frequencies. I am contemplating paying the $225 or whatever it is to get out of contract with AT&T just to go with Verizon I hate AT&T so much. And I am not alone.

Verizon has been offering at the mall kiosks to pay your out of contract fees around here.

They paid to get out of my contract 2 weeks ago. Also Sprint is on the verge of filing for bankruptcy so I'd stay clear from them. Plus I have the exact same plan as I had with ATT and it's $60 cheaper.

YOu have to make an appointment to have someone look at your cellphone?
Thats mighty lame

Yes, if you have an Apple appliance, you have to make an appointment for someone to look at it. It's called the Genius Bar :fly: