GAY Thoughts on PMP cert

Everybody I know who pursued a PMP certificate has ended up a middle-management paper pusher.

If that's your goal, rock on.

I kind of like the idea of doing it on a contract basis, taking a few.months off and moving on to.the next one.

The jobs are out there. I get them in my inbox every day.
Yeah, what I'm saying is that the whole "PMP certification" maybe isn't the way to get those jerbs. The kind of people I see getting those certs are the kind who have Peter-principle'd out of their technical careers.

Everybody I know who pursued a PMP certificate has ended up a middle-management paper pusher.

If that's your goal, rock on.
same same. It helps less technical people advance. Ive intentionally avoided getting that or my DAWIA just cause I dont wanna end up a middle manager someplace.

April doesn't have 14 years of IT at Time Warner, a Fortune 50 company then, on her resume. I'm currently capped at around $45 per/h on the high end and this would be a 50% increase in pay.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
April doesn't have 14 years of IT at Time Warner, a Fortune 50 company then, on her resume. I'm currently capped at around $45 per/h on the high end and this would be a 50% increase in pay.
shit man, i make more than that as a poor ass gov employee with only 1 more year of experience. Id be chasing certs too to break that glass ceiling.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
at 14 years of experience you've got the time in to overcome the certification anyway.

Go apply for a job you're not paper-qualified for.

Pro-tip: if you're confident in your interviewing audience, a well-placed "your mom" joke will go a long way. That's what landed me the job (which I stayed at for 5 years) that was the stepping stone to the national lab technical staff position I'm in now.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
at 14 years of experience you've got the time in to overcome the certification anyway.

Go apply for a job you're not paper-qualified for.

I've done it and I'm not getting the bites I'm looking for. I was reaching when I applied for Engineer II at Amazon. They hired me for Engineer I but don't have an open seat for it right now locally. That reminds me, time to email Amazon and another company that hired me as Engineer that their client closed at the last second. Stay on their radar.

Pro-tip: if you're confident in your interviewing audience, a well-placed "your mom" joke will go a long way. That's what landed me the job (which I stayed at for 5 years) that was the stepping stone to the national lab technical staff position I'm in now.
honeywell still runs your lab right?

Hows their payscale, and how much are you required to publish? I fuckin hate publishing

honeywell still runs your lab right?

Hows their payscale, and how much are you required to publish? I fuckin hate publishing
Yeah, we're under NTESS r/n, which is headed up by Honeywell.

The work I do is half hush-hush, so I'm required to publish nothing, just keep dem rockets from falling out of the sky. The other half is justified by attending SC every once in a while, and talking about what we're doing at extreme scale.

I'm certain that'll change when I transition from senior member technical staff to principle member technical staff, but that ain't happening until I finish my PhD.

I hesitate to discuss payscale, but it's enough to keep a family of four very comfortable in Albuquerque, NM. It would not be enough to do that in the Bay Area, or in New York.

edit: it's significantly more than $45/hr though.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Don't you need a couple hundred hours of real world project management experience to get a PMP?

Good question. Haven't started digging into it yet. Still trying to buy a goddamned washer/dryer. I was just checking out @bjs.com and they said they couldn't ship them at the last second. Waiting on a call back.

I managed at least a dozen IT projects/rollouts at Turner that took months each. That should count.