Ontopic Thoughts on fast food workers strike and pay demand

Thoughts on Fast Food Workers Money Demands

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dunno what I think about making it $15 truly, but where it is now seems a bit low. Maybe $10/hr would feel better to me.

Truthfully I don't think that fast food working is meant to be a livable wage. I know people who work in restaurants as an adult which pays better, but not fast food. You get paid for the amount of training required IMO. Fast food takes like no training which is why it's full of HS students working or those who don't speak english well.

exactly cooking at McDonalds is not cooking at Applebees which is not cooking at Ruth Chris

The minimum wage will probably be $10 in the near future. If the striking and all that works for them great but I don't think throwing fries in a deep fryer and throwing precooked hamburgers on a grill or into a microwave to warm up needs to pay $15. It's a minimum wage job for a reason. Skilled cooks who go to culinary school, learn the craft, and cook in upscale restaurants are lucky to start at $15.

Doesn't really matter what we think. Adults are taking fast food jobs because they need something. Heck even some graduates are doing it. Without paying them a liveable wage, we burden tax payers with the stuff they can't afford, like healthcare. Walmart costs tax payers shit loads because they pay so little. This is really just big corporations gaming the system.

Santa Fe is a bad example. The are a city sub 70k and have a very low number of people below the poverty line compared to an average large city. Also it has alot of money living in those hills.
Santa Fe is a fine example. There are a lot of bedroom communities around it that aren't counted in the population of the city (kind of like Albuquerque and its parasite, Rio Rancho), and not all of them are super well to do.

Keeping wages low for these people will in the end keep wages low for a lot of industries.

I'm already looking at stuff like this:
must have extensive industrial experience in inspection, repair, installation, wiring and troubleshooting of all types of electrical apparatus or circuits of any voltage. Successful candidates will posses extensive experience and knowledge of AC/DC motors, generators, transformers and programmable controls. Applicants must be able to read blueprints, diagrams, and/or sketches to troubleshoot. Demonstrated knowledge as a pipe fitter/plumber. Knowledge of component assembly (like press fit tolerances, shrink fit tolerances, prep surface for welding parts, allowance for heat treat distortion).
Interested applicants must be able to work all shifts or any combination thereof to provide 24 hour/7 days a week coverage.

For minimum wage jobs. Something really has to change.

on a similar vein I saw a story yesterday about how Norway is starting to be concerned that the can't keep up their current welfare system. They are the very top of of the food chain when it comes to the government taking care of the people. The system is funded by oil and they were smart enough to dump the money away in savings to fund their system. The oil wasn't projected to decrease for another 20-50 plus years but they are seeing it dry up drastically and it might be gone very soon. Also due to the rising cost of goods due to inflation and wage increases the amount of money they put away is dwindling at a rate of 20 billion more per year than they estimated for. Because of this that fund is going dry as well. They are basically at a point of having to make choices now to start the ball rolling on how to fund the welfare system so it doesn't die out in the future or just let it die and change their current way of life. Options are doing it via taxes but the average person works a 30 hour week and the taxes have never gone to fund that before but to other programs which is have affects in other places like infrastructure etc. I just find it a very interesting story and I'm curious to see if they make any changes and if not how long before the current system dies.

I have no idea what min wage is here but I thiiiiiink it's like 11
How much do u cheap bastards pay the fast food pplz?

Yes but every time I've been to a McDonalds in Toronto the food is way more expensive so it's basically a wash. I.E a Big Mac deal is anywhere from $7-9 where here it would be $5-7.