Ontopic Thoughts on fast food workers strike and pay demand

Thoughts on Fast Food Workers Money Demands

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
not relevant. It's not based on keeping up with inflation and never was. It's a minimum wage only designed to keep slave wages eliminated. It's not supposed to finance a family of 4.

So regardless of the fact you were in fact paid significantly better for doing significantly less than most people today. It's still fair.

Ok.

Also "source" for your information about minimum wage. Because it sounds more like groundless speculation than anything else.

Last edited:
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=3.50&year1=1980&year2=2014

$3.50 had the same buying power in 1980 as $10.04 in 2014.

Minimum wage btw is $7.25 now.

:lol:

You need better google.

TYN8lyW.png

this is rich coming from the guy who won't readjust/survive/move forward making profits on his own.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Like you have any idea why I do and do not do things. Highly unintelligent of you to comment on something like that.

Santa Fe, NM raised its minimum wage years ago to $10.29. Despite the conservatives' dire forecast, businesses have not shuttered for want of clientele, nor have there been mass layoffs.

Santa Fe, NM raised its minimum wage years ago to $10.29. Despite the conservatives' dire forecast, businesses have not shuttered for want of clientele, nor have there been mass layoffs.

Santa Fe is a bad example. The are a city sub 70k and have a very low number of people below the poverty line compared to an average large city. Also it has alot of money living in those hills.

Yep. Same here when they raised the minimum wage to The highest minimum wage in the world, nothing really happened.

1982 is early 80's, and I said 3.35/hr not your 3.50. Regardless, it's not the over dramatized scenario you posted.
Yes, linking the Consumer Products Index.

Drama, drama, drama. $8.20 is still 90 cents more than you get today with a verifiable work history, background check, and 5 years of apprenticeship for most industries.

The minimum wage will probably be $10 in the near future. If the striking and all that works for them great but I don't think throwing fries in a deep fryer and throwing precooked hamburgers on a grill or into a microwave to warm up needs to pay $15. It's a minimum wage job for a reason. Skilled cooks who go to culinary school, learn the craft, and cook in upscale restaurants are lucky to start at $15.

I think the minimum wage jobs are great for teens to get out and see what various opportunities are available to them.

It's generally inexpensive help doing mundane tasks (cooking/cleaning/cust service/stocking/bagging) and they can get some experience with responsibility and explore advancement once they're in if they want to stick around.

I bagged groceries and flipped burgers for minimum wage.

In fact, I only quit bagging because they would only give me 35hrs a week, and I could get 40hrs at McDonalds. This was not a crisis in my life. It gave me some pocket change and kept me out of trouble.

I dunno what I think about making it $15 truly, but where it is now seems a bit low. Maybe $10/hr would feel better to me.

Truthfully I don't think that fast food working is meant to be a livable wage. I know people who work in restaurants as an adult which pays better, but not fast food. You get paid for the amount of training required IMO. Fast food takes like no training which is why it's full of HS students working or those who don't speak english well.

The sad part is these people aren't the ones fueling the fire. Part of their demands is they want to create a fast food workers union.

I dunno what I think about making it $15 truly, but where it is now seems a bit low. Maybe $10/hr would feel better to me.

Truthfully I don't think that fast food working is meant to be a livable wage. I know people who work in restaurants as an adult which pays better, but not fast food. You get paid for the amount of training required IMO. Fast food takes like no training which is why it's full of HS students working or those who don't speak english well.

exactly cooking at McDonalds is not cooking at Applebees which is not cooking at Ruth Chris