Hawt Thoughts on carputer

I'd just get a UMPC and build in a good mount for it.

That's easy to steal and power heavy as well as not hardwired into the car electric system, so there are conversions to keep track of. Also most UMPC have very weak processing power of videos especially, nor to they use good quality fast SSD that I am looking to spec. Most UMPC don't have a touch screen, either. And for the price of a good performing UMPC, I can build something that suits my needs and is faster.

I also want it to look relatively OEM. A mount with a UMPC tacked on does not look OEM. It would also take up space in the passenger area. My idea with a retractable touch screen and single DIN computer would hide everything inside the dash, making it disappear from sight when not in use and fully utilizable by both front passengers when in use.

And where's the fun if it's already set up for you? Part of my hobby is the actual building of it.

That's easy to steal and power heavy as well as not hardwired into the car electric system, so there are conversions to keep track of. Also most UMPC have very weak processing power of videos especially, nor to they use good quality fast SSD that I am looking to spec. Most UMPC don't have a touch screen, either. And for the price of a good performing UMPC, I can build something that suits my needs and is faster.

I also want it to look relatively OEM. A mount with a UMPC tacked on does not look OEM. It would also take up space in the passenger area. My idea with a retractable touch screen and single DIN computer would hide everything inside the dash, making it disappear from sight when not in use and fully utilizable by both front passengers when in use.

my UMPC plays videos fine, has a touchscreen, and is old a dirt.

I'm positive you could find a good UMPC for your car. Plus, it wont get stolen because it is portable and it wont be in the car to steal.

Also, why can't you make an embedded dash mount?

All being said, I would not spend money on a PC built into my car. I have thought about this multiple times and it just isn't practical.

A buddy of mine once bought a metal detector, and wanted to use it in my backyard since, at the time, I lived in a really old neighborhood. So before he came over, I buried an aluminum disc that I wrote "YOURE A HUGE DICK" on it. After about half an hour of scanning the back yard and finding nothing, he hit on it, dug it up, looked at it, got pissed and went home:fly:

Haters gunna hate.

I say go forward with this project. Perhaps I'll get motivated to do the same (when I get lots of monies). My subbie has Double DIN dashboard so a carputer screen would fit nicely there. I also have the center console that's rather useless and could get gutted to fit the pc. Under the seat is a lot of room surprisingly too.

Haters gunna hate.

I say go forward with this project. Perhaps I'll get motivated to do the same (when I get lots of monies). My subbie has Double DIN dashboard so a carputer screen would fit nicely there. I also have the center console that's rather useless and could get gutted to fit the pc. Under the seat is a lot of room surprisingly too.

The beauty of my design is that one of the DIN would be the PC itself.

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/te_d288

The other DIN would be the retractable screen.

http://dynamixcomputers.com/lilliput_gl701_np.html

Under your seat would be good for amps, unless you live in a cold climate. Then you have to be concerned about your heater vents blowing hot air directly on the amp. If you are in the south, then you don't have to worry that much.

Last edited:
I was thinking more of the screen being the whole Double DIN area and the enclosure elsewhere. I'm not sure I like the flip out screens. I can see some advantages of it, but the idea of the mechanics of the motor breaking and not letting the screen go back in would annoy me. Under the front seats never gets hot in my Subaru. My feet are always freezing in my Subaru in the winter.

While I can definitely appreciate the techy aspect of the carputer I would personally never put more money into a device that is designed to fall apart (the car, not the puter).