Thread This will make Liam happy.

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
As for me, well it makes my blood pressure fucking skyrocket.

http://gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns

In response to a flood of Facebook and YouTube videos that depict police abuse, a new trend in law enforcement is gaining popularity. In at least three states, it is now illegal to record any on-duty police officer.

Even if the encounter involves you and may be necessary to your defense, and even if the recording is on a public street where no expectation of privacy exists.

The legal justification for arresting the "shooter" rests on existing wiretapping or eavesdropping laws, with statutes against obstructing law enforcement sometimes cited. Illinois, Massachusetts, and Maryland are among the 12 states in which all parties must consent for a recording to be legal unless, as with TV news crews, it is obvious to all that recording is underway. Since the police do not consent, the camera-wielder can be arrested. Most all-party-consent states also include an exception for recording in public places where "no expectation of privacy exists" (Illinois does not) but in practice this exception is not being recognized.

Here's one of the vids referenced in the article. They arrested this dude for having a helmet-mounted camera. Only after he embarrassed the f*ck out of the cop though. And not only did they arrest him, they searched his parents' house and confiscated things too. It's ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the cops record those things so that the video can be used in their defense. We, however, are not entitled to that liberty.

in which all parties must consent for a recording to be legal unless, as with TV news crews, it is obvious to all that recording is underway.

How do news organizations get a pass on this? So if I had a giant camcorder from the 80's, does that mean I can record public activities by public employees on public property because it's obvious I am taping?

Maybe if the police did their job or were trained better, they wouldn't look like asshats and people would be recording them doing good things successfully.

Can you imagine what cops would do with this kind of protection?

This country seems to be going further and further backwards..

Can you imagine what cops would do with this kind of protection?

This country seems to be going further and further backwards..

I'd be using this precedent to go after cases where cops use their videos as evidence. I don't know of a criminal yet that consented to being video-taped by police?

Also does this work for video interrogations too? What if you don't want to consent to being video-taped/recorded.

Illinois huh?

well, if I find myself without a job I'll go out and start filming cops doing stupid shit. that way I'll have something to do and when I get arrested I'll call the ACLU to help me with the case :cool:

I'd be using this precedent to go after cases where cops use their videos as evidence. I don't know of a criminal yet that consented to being video-taped by police?

Also does this work for video interrogations too? What if you don't want to consent to being video-taped/recorded.

You don't consent to being questioned or interrogated in the first place....

Maybe if the police did their job or were trained better, they wouldn't look like asshats and people would be recording them doing good things successfully.

Well a ton of this shit can also be taken out of context as well. People start filming when shit gets crazy. They end up missing what started it all when a suspect made a grab for something in his/her pocket or was resisting arrest.

However, not being able to record them in public is retarded.