This just in: I Robert I joins Useless Forums...

sorrybeen.jpg

Every time I see that I'm amazed all over again.

You guys can go ahead and look this up. I'm not UF material. A bit too exclusive-cigar-club for me. I would've thought that having been a member before and being a somewhat respected member of [M] for a long long time (which is where the core of the people here is from) would be enough.

Bye guys :)
I really didn't think it was elitist to have people log in once every 90 days. I'm truly sorry you fell that way and sorry that you don't want to stick around. But let me ask this : isn't assuming your reputation at another forum is "enough", elistist in and of itself? Its really not fair for newbs joining without "street creed" to wait behind the velvet rope while interweb VIPs get to go straight into the club.

why can't someone stop by every few months or so? why must his account be deleted?
I can't answer the first, but I can answer the second. There are two reasons. First is that when someone joins, I know they tend to look at how big the community is. It always bugged me that [M] never gave you a real look at that. They claim something like 40k accounts, but there aren't 40k people active. By deleting accounts that haven't been logged into for 90 days, I think it gives people an more honest look at the size of this community. We really have always done this for this reason.

The second is more of a security thing and a little more recent. I was off somewhere reading about the 10 most common account passwords. Being bored, I started to try them on old accounts here. About 40% of the time, I was able to log into an account using one of the 10 passwords. Oddly enough, this was roughly the same time [M] had some big password debacle. Considering how hard we try to keep spambots out, it only reinforced this policy as a good idea in that we limit exposure to this kind of abuse.

I really didn't think it was elitist to have people log in once every 90 days. I'm truly sorry you fell that way and sorry that you don't want to stick around. But let me ask this : isn't assuming your reputation at another forum is "enough", elistist in and of itself? Its really not fair for newbs joining without "street creed" to wait behind the velvet rope while interweb VIPs get to go straight into the club.

I can't answer the first, but I can answer the second. There are two reasons. First is that when someone joins, I know they tend to look at how big the community is. It always bugged me that [M] never gave you a real look at that. They claim something like 40k accounts, but there aren't 40k people active. By deleting accounts that haven't been logged into for 90 days, I think it gives people an more honest look at the size of this community. We really have always done this for this reason.

The second is more of a security thing and a little more recent. I was off somewhere reading about the 10 most common account passwords. Being bored, I started to try them on old accounts here. About 40% of the time, I was able to log into an account using one of the 10 passwords. Oddly enough, this was roughly the same time [M] had some big password debacle. Considering how hard we try to keep spambots out, it only reinforced this policy as a good idea in that we limit exposure to this kind of abuse.

cosign ..

is there a "crybaby" emoticon?

go hug a tree bubbles.. and you better not be using aerosol hairspray..

and l-o fucking l at "interweb VIP's"..

makes sense then :)