Thread This just in! Cats suck massholes. Film @ 11.

@gee

you wanna design a couple of low-power rf beacons that can be directionally tracked out to a 800ft range or so :p (only half joking)

Requirements: 1x1x3/4ish dimensions, water resistant, 1 month battery life, directional finding

Commercial equivalent products that are awesome when they work, but super shittily made.

Amazon product ASIN B015E6Q06W
and this old ham radio dude that made his own product, that is probably awesome, but costs half a grand :D
Why not put one of those apple things on your cat lol

Airtag! Airtag your catto

This isn't bad if you did the 2 year subscription.

Amazon product ASIN B09NN435JD
2 day battery life kinda sucks. A month is very reasonable, even 2-3 weeks is doable. The current one I have is down to a week, and for critical things like visits to the vet we charge it up, but it fails outta the blue most the time.

Honestly the solution is to 3d print a new case for the innards, and hook it up to a CR123 or something easily swappable that doesnt require removing it from the cats collar, chasing the cat to put it back on, etc.

but that requires time and energy I dont have :(

@gee

you wanna design a couple of low-power rf beacons that can be directionally tracked out to a 800ft range or so :p (only half joking)

Requirements: 1x1x3/4ish dimensions, water resistant, 1 month battery life, directional finding

Commercial equivalent products that are awesome when they work, but super shittily made.

Amazon product ASIN B015E6Q06W
and this old ham radio dude that made his own product, that is probably awesome, but costs half a grand :D
Requires a LoRa basestation, but LoRa tags/trackers might work for you.

Requires a LoRa basestation, but LoRa tags/trackers might work for you.
Yep, there's a bunch of directional lora solutions. KrakenSDR sounds like a good one. Need like 8 antennae for good tof differentials though.

Yep, there's a bunch of directional lora solutions. KrakenSDR sounds like a good one. Need like 8 antennae for good tof differentials though.
You can get tags with GPS modules built in that will ping their coordinates back over LoRa.

You'll either get the exact position, or the last position and time that the thing got a fix, should be plenty good enough for cat tracking.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Im mean Im not a genius but you could try not letting the cat out.

I had a cat who used to try to run away. Then one time we chased him around the house and he tried to dart back inside while my mom was coming out and she slammed the door in his face and he bonked himself. Never tried to get out again.

Cats deserve to get exercise and enjoy the outdoors. Keeping a cat inside is like not taking your dog for walks.

Besides, this is a good excuse to build a Lora network

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Cats deserve to get exercise and enjoy the outdoors. Keeping a cat inside is like not taking your dog for walks.

Besides, this is a good excuse to build a Lora network
So you are going to send GPS data back over Lora or use lora for the actual location?

So it seems we lost my favorite cat the other night, likely to a bobcat. RIP Richard :(

6bx2qtv.jpg

😭 There are bobcats in tampa?
Yep. Caught one on camera walking around the neighborhood a couple of years ago. Since we didn't hear any yipping, it must have been the bobcat and not a coyote.

We knew he would die young, but it still really sucks.

And to make matters worse, that bobcat is sure to be back soon.