[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was a 4 pound sledge!

Had a 3ish foot section of true 2x4 stud in the bathroom wall i needed to remove to put a sunken vanity in. It had two nails in it coming from the outside side (exterior sheathing nailed to it). It took a 10 minute beating with the sledge and a 3 foot prybar to get those nails out of it. they werent even ring shank or anyhting, but the wood was so dense they were locked in there tight as coule be.
Nails push a path between the cells of the wood and the hold increases over time through some process I can't remember because I learned this years ago. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

Lumberjacks call everything above a pretty small broken branch caught ~15’ up "widowmakers". I worked with a guy who had seen a 2-3” diameter one take someones jaw off. There's a whole lot of energy involved when trees start falling.

One of the scariest moments of my life was when a tree coming down got caught in the crook of another and the top of the first snapped back, landing like 3’ to my side.

iirc the nail deforms the cell walls (cellulose) into "barbs" that oppose pulling the nail out and as the wood dries it contracts around the nail and/or the "barbs" become less pliable.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
1907206945629d9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.