[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 36 inch dbh red gum 6 feet from the house. Beautiful tree, wouldn't cut it down for the world. Look it the matter bedroom vanity right into the canopy, green as can be

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and Immigrant
190719571FBIMG15635028361431.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and nukes
I have a 36 inch dbh red gum 6 feet from the house. Beautiful tree, wouldn't cut it down for the world. Look it the matter bedroom vanity right into the canopy, green as can be
When I was about 15 I got up one morning and looked out the window, as a huge 1 meter+ diameter maple gave way from the overnight ice storm. Both back bedrooms of the neighbors house were smashed through,down to the foundation, end of the branches broke the window I was looking out. Neighbors were fortunately having breakfast at time. I always remember that when wondering if a tree close to the house should come down.
That said, I planted 2 locust trees about 6-7' out from our porch - good luck on toppling one of those pricks.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
When I was about 15 I got up one morning and looked out the window, as a huge 1 meter+ diameter maple gave way from the overnight ice storm. Both back bedrooms of the neighbors house were smashed through,down to the foundation, end of the branches broke the window I was looking out. Neighbors were fortunately having breakfast at time. I always remember that when wondering if a tree close to the house should come down.
That said, I planted 2 locust trees about 6-7' out from our porch - good luck on toppling one of those pricks.

i guess my logic is that its so close that would something happen, it wont have enough momentum to crash through a house because its so close

i guess my logic is that its so close that would something happen, it wont have enough momentum to crash through a house because its so close
We have some friends that live in an old part of Tampa with some really huge old oaks. Just some of the branches from those motherfuckers have destroyed houses in their neighborhood. Don't need a lot of momentum when shit is really heavy!

I don't have the maths to support this but I'm thinking tree that big and heavy even moving slow vs. impact area on a stick frame house (foot or two worth of an edge) the tree is gonna win.

Basically tree vs. a couple 2x6's or something. Pushing over on it, not straight down.

I don't have the maths to support this but I'm thinking tree that big and heavy even moving slow vs. impact area on a stick frame house (foot or two worth of an edge) the tree is gonna win.

Basically tree vs. a couple 2x6's or something. Pushing over on it, not straight down.
The house I mentioned was built by GM in late 50s so workers could buy affordable houses and be happy foreva. All 2X4 except maybe, maybe, 2X6 rafters. Nothing but shit nails holding that shit together.

The house I mentioned was built by GM in late 50s so workers could buy affordable houses and be happy foreva. All 2X4 except maybe, maybe, 2X6 rafters. Nothing but shit nails holding that shit together.

I'm thinking Domons house. 100+ years old. Bigger better framing lumber. Not the lightest possible super fast growth stuff they use now where the end of a board chips away half the time toenailing into it with a nail gun.

Still don't know it could hold up a giant tree though.

I'm thinking Domons house. 100+ years old. Bigger better framing lumber. Not the lightest possible super fast growth stuff they use now where the end of a board chips away half the time toenailing into it with a nail gun.

I was in a house in Gloucester which had a tree trunk as the vertical supporting beam in the basement. Old Growth. At least 10 feet in circumference. THEY DIDN'T EVEN REMOVE THE BARK!

oh, noones claiming it wouldnt due severe damage, it definitely would. But i hope it wouldnt cut the house in half

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I'm thinking Domains house. 100+ years old. Bigger better framing lumber. Not the lightest possible super fast growth stuff they use now where the end of a board chips away half the time toenailing into it with a nail gun.

Lot of them old houses the wood is dry as fuck and brittle. Decades of heat/cold, not a humidifier to be had.
I was in a house in Gloucester which had a tree trunk as the vertical supporting beam in the basement. Old Growth. At least 10 feet in circumference. THEY DIDN'T EVEN REMOVE THE BARK!
I gutted and rebuilt a post & beam house like that. Every joist and rafter was a 6-8" log, barked just slightly square. I reframed all in 2X4 on the inside and it got drywall and 12" of insulation. Nice deep windowsills.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Lot of them old houses the wood is dry as fuck and brittle. Decades of heat/cold, not a humidifier to be had.
I gutted and rebuilt a post & beam house like that. Every joist and rafter was a 6-8" log, barked just slightly square. I reframed all in 2X4 on the inside and it got drywall and 12" of insulation. Nice deep windowsills.
my saw blades disagree, although i cant speak to its frangibility. Those timbers are so damn hard theyre almost petrified. Hard doesnt always mean strong though

oh, noones claiming it wouldnt due severe damage, it definitely would. But i hope it wouldnt cut the house in half
Google it. Check out this one - thank goodness the brick facade slowed it down. And not a very big tree. Although, I think type could be a big factor. Oak or maple might get slowed down by branches and they'd spread out the blow. BIg pine with lower branches trimmed off - thwacka!

my saw blades disagree, although i cant speak to its frangibility. Those timbers are so damn hard theyre almost petrified. Hard doesnt always mean strong though
True - diamonds are so hard. Easy to crush to dust with a common hammer. Pertified is a good description of what happens to the sap.
Fortune cookie say: No sticky boards in an old attic.

Farm house I grew up in was like that. Not as old as stuff on the east coast but built around the turn of the century.
Basement was stone gathered from the property not cinder block. No poured concrete anywhere. No ductwork upstairs. Couple vents to let a little heat rise up there from downstairs.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and wetwillie
Status
Not open for further replies.