[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Osage is for bow staves.
And fence posts - lasts decades in the ground. Man, there were probably 100 mature ones lining the road we are off of - came home one day when they started the "paving of paradise" and nut'n but some big piles of bright yellow chips. FUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKERRRRRRSSS! * peeps here like putting one of the fruit near each garage or barn door(inside) - said to help keep the mice away.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
exotic woods are overrated.

with the exception of ipe. ipe is wonderful
Bloodwood. My buddy with the tech shop here was laser engraving a bunch of it, and fuck his shop smelled awesome.

I have a scrap of it on my desk that I can't help but pick up and smell. I wanna get some and smoke some food with it.

speaking of that, ive been clearing the brush piles off my property where ive been piling shit for a couple of years. Mostly 2-4 inch limbs of varying trees that have come down over hte years.

The cherry limbs, all of em, even like the 6 inch wide stuff was basically dust, the beech a little better, but still heavily decomposed. The cedar though? Hard as the day is was harvested, zero rot. I knew cedar was good stuff for rot resistance, but didnt realize it was that good.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
oh, and i had a limb break off the 1780s era beech tree thats the highlight of my property, i counted the rings in this limb ( about 5 inch diameter). That relatively tiny limb was 80-100 years old. I think the whole tree might be way older than i had originally placed in in the 1700s.

I need to replace the screen door on my back patio
I had put on there a shitty pine door that I got from the depot
Think Im gonna make my own this time , out of cedar
At least that should last more than 2 seasons, plus Ill put it together with something more substantial than finishing nails

I dont have a good place to buy two by cedar locally. The local lumberyards dont seem to stock it, and the big box stores dont either.

i wish i did, its a ncie wood.

I dont have a good place to buy two by cedar locally. The local lumberyards dont seem to stock it, and the big box stores dont either.

i wish i did, its a ncie wood.
If you're going to do 2x, just get a jointer and a planer and mill it yourself. The Delta benchtop jointer is pretty freakin' fabulous, and an old 4 post planer isn't difficult to come by used anymore.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
If you're going to do 2x, just get a jointer and a planer and mill it yourself. The Delta benchtop jointer is pretty freakin' fabulous, and an old 4 post planer isn't difficult to come by used anymore.
you think i dont have both a jointer and a planer already :p or several... you silly motherfucker.

There may just not be a lot of it around here, even for milling up myself. I have two eastern red cedars in my yard, but i dont see many others anywhere.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
190626710IMG0865.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Status
Not open for further replies.