[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
for comparison/more views of pedipalps, this is a Phidippus audax (bold jumping spider) I found that I believe is a female - she's shaking her little mittenless pedipalps at me in the video at the end. juvenile P. audax often have orange spots that later turn white, so it's probably not a juvenile, and then subadult (and adult) males tend to have a bolder white section on the pedipalps.

• Love
Reactions: Immigrant
I can't really see the web, but if it's normally like a Charlotte's web style round web, it's an orb weaver of some type. if it's more like the visible web in that picture, irregular and more 3-D in shape, it's more likely to be a cobweb spider of some sort in the Theridiidae family
Looks like one of those brown pattern ones in the pics but I don't know exactly which one without it to compare to.

Charlotte's type web as good as you can get anyway stretching across a back corner of fence (fence is at 90 degree angle/corner). Def not a cobwebs.

Looks big but really body probably about pinky nail size. Maybe ring fingernail on a child or someone with small hands. Legs all spread out like at least a quarter maybe silver dollar or 50 cent piece or something.

I leave them be as much as I can but do not particularly like walking into them in the dark and having that bigass thing scrambling around your neck or wherever wondering what the hell just crashed into its house.

Coolest thing I've learned recently about spiders is that most of them only put up their webs at night, then eat their webs before morning and take them down and rebuild them the next night

Back in maybe 1984 or ‘85, I babysat my brother-in-law’s tarantula for almost two years when he enlisted and became a Ranger. He was in an aquarium with hiding places and a tight lid, and lots of cool shit to hide amongst. I was instructed to buy a dozen crickets every two months and drop them in. He’d jump like crazy and dang near bounce the lid off, so I made sure to put a heavy rock on it.

He was missing a leg when I got custody because bro in-law accidentally cut one off playing with him. When he molted the one time while I had him, a new leg appeared. It was more vibrant and fluffier than the others. Impressive. And he left behind a second skin that looked like a hungry version of himself, or “deflated” might be a better description. I kept it in a ziplock bag in the freezer.

Every now and then, I’d play a gag on visitors and put it on the floor and say “Oh shit! He got out!” It usually went okay after a hearty chuckle but there was an air conditioning repair guy there once who sharted a little and left. My landlord was pissed off but also thought it was funny. But he made us wait an extra day before he got the guy to come back and fix the AC.

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: HipHugHer and OOD
It could go along well in my new line of farm to table Gape Gloves.

Dammit, b10.

Suregrip_Gloves.JPG

I’m thinking about laying in bed all day today, or the recliner. Which is what I do anyway but I feel like shit. Fuck.

• Sad
Reactions: fly
Status
Not open for further replies.