[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
210718778IMG3350.jpg

Blackface was acceptable when The Lone Ranger was being filmed. Times have changed. He wears a mask AND does blackface. How conflicting!

I'm sure none of us thought we were racist when we were kids and we'd dress up as "indians" for halloween.
Or had any ill intentions towards native people when we did so.
And I'm sure blackface is a similar sort of situation.

I don't feel guilty for doing it, or feel that I necessarily did something wrong, but out of respect I ain't gonna do it again.

I'm sure none of us thought we were racist when we were kids and we'd dress up as "indians" for halloween.

I don't feel guilty for doing it, or feel that I necessarily did something wrong, but out of respect I ain't gonna do it again.

I played the battle of Rorke's Drift on the English side. (70s ... not recently).
I had just seen the movie Zulu.
We had a high fenced in back yard out in the sticks. Looked like an old fort.
To me.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie

Exactly!
I wish everybody would assume that position, but it seems that instead of accepting that things have changed recently and let’s move on from here, we have t9 make sure that someone gets a whippin along the way. It comes back to my injury theory. Some people don’t feel they’ve “won” an argument, unless the other party is injured in some way. Drumph thinks like that, and so does half the US.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Exactly!
I wish everybody would assume that position, but it seems that instead of accepting that things have changed recently and let’s move on from here, we have t9 make sure that someone gets a whippin along the way. It comes back to my injury theory. Some people don’t feel they’ve “won” an argument, unless the other party is injured in some way. Drumph thinks like that, and so does half the US.
The internet simply loves to be fake outraged (fauxrage, that's my new term) by shit. And these people will continue to get attention as long as people keep apologizing for shit that was acceptable at the time.

The internet simply loves to be fake outraged (fauxrage, that's my new term) by shit. And these people will continue to get attention as long as people keep apologizing for shit that was acceptable at the time.

"It was acceptable" is reductive: there were certainly people at the time who knew and let it be known that things were wrong. Furthermore, where do you draw the line between acceptable and wrong? Genocides happen because they're acceptable to enough people, same with slavery, same with children being mutilated by machinery, same with a black child being tortured to death because a white woman lied, same with employers calling in paramilitaries on workers.

Progress doesn't happen unless we recognize that acceptable things can be wrong. Blackface was acceptable because of racism.

Some people do care.

Status
Not open for further replies.