[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
A ceiling for everybody.

That's why it's called a ceiling, you fop-doodle.

I'm not going to get behind graduated licensing where they determine your exact alcohol tolerance. Set a reasonable ceiling (.08 is fine), then pull the idiots off the road who can't manage even at lower BACs with field sobriety tests administered as needed when somebody's acting the fool on the road and get pulled by the 5-0.

Show me how .08 is a reasonable ceiling for everyone.

Hint: "because I think so" doesn't count. Looking for actual hard evidence here.

Show me where a 50 year old who's been driving the same path safely for 30 years with .12 in him in his old truck is more dangerous than the first time drinker with .075 in him in his fart-can equipped souped up honda trying to show off to his friends.

In case you haven't figured it out, there is a huge amount of variables in this and you can't honestly boil it all down to a single number for everyone.

Unless of course you reject rational thought and just follow your feelings.

Gonna have to show real world examples instead of just the academics of it.
There's people who are out of it at .06 and people who can function in a safe manner at twice that.
A line/limit has to be drawn. If your tolerance is higher you can get an expert and some friends to testify how you, as a professional drunk, are still safe over the iimit. Or just drink at home.

They aren't looking for a ceiling that fits everyone you pin-head. They selected the ceiling that fits most, non-hardcore, drinkers. It's a "reasonable man" standard.
Define "reasonable man" and show historical proof where .08 constitutes reasonable anything.

You're making the claim....

Good luck with that.
Exactly. Plenty of testing has been done, arguments have been made on how unsafe is still ok for the average person and a number was selected.

Downton Abbey Insult GIF by PeacockTV

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Once self driven cars are a thing, this won't be a problem.
Even passing out at the drive through won't be much of a problem if the car is smart enough to roll down the window so the food can be tossed in.

Once self driven cars are a thing, this won't be a problem.
Even passing out at the drive through won't be much of a problem if the car is smart enough to roll down the window so the food can be tossed in.
Occasional problem: drunk guy with a PPO gets in {out loud, rambling} "Marcy. I should go to Marcy's house". Car gets to Marcy's, guy stumbles to door and screws with lock(duh, drunk as a corner), Marcy saws him in half with a 12 gauge.

Add: then she realizes it was only hips.

And there's where folks who are "all about the science" in all things all the way down to air-frying a chicken suddenly become faith-based true believers in what at best could be called pseudoscience and in some cases voodoo when it comes to this particular subject.
Congratulations.
Drunk drivers are a fucking scourge on society and kill too many goddamn people. You can't disagree with that. And any organization that wants that shit to end is bad?

And what freedom's being lost by BAC thresholds being set too safe? oh no, you can't get a buzz on with your dinner and drive home right away anymore?

Part of what I was getting at. I'm actually not a dick, and have never got a DWI.
Just assigning a single BAC number to the entire population regardless of age, size, body type, tolerance, or anything else has no basis in medical or other fields.
I dont think you understand how BAC works. It is proportional to metabolism and weight, and gender. Big dude that weights 250 lbs is gonna take a lot more beers to reach .08 than a 100 lb lady. Theres also numerous peer reviewed studies that show direct correlation between accidents and BAC level.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Show me how .08 is a reasonable ceiling for everyone.

Hint: "because I think so" doesn't count. Looking for actual hard evidence here.

Show me where a 50 year old who's been driving the same path safely for 30 years with .12 in him in his old truck is more dangerous than the first time drinker with .075 in him in his fart-can equipped souped up honda trying to show off to his friends.

In case you haven't figured it out, there is a huge amount of variables in this and you can't honestly boil it all down to a single number for everyone.

Unless of course you reject rational thought and just follow your feelings.
When the 50yo goes around the bend and there's someone in the middle of the road and he doesnt have the reaction time to stop his old truck that was designed with zero thought of pedestrian safety.

Drunk drivers are a fucking scourge on society and kill too many goddamn people. You can't disagree with that. And any organization that wants that shit to end is bad?

And what freedom's being lost by BAC thresholds being set too safe? oh no, you can't get a buzz on with your dinner and drive home right away anymore?
Totally agree. Getting caught would be bad enough, but after hurting other people(maybe yourself) would be so much worse. That should be a big deterrent.
That's it - hips needs to be locked up. Danger to society and himself.
Short Film Party GIF by Four Rest Films

I dont think you understand how BAC works. It is proportional to metabolism and weight, and gender. Big dude that weights 250 lbs is gonna take a lot more beers to reach .08 than a 100 lb lady. Theres also numerous peer reviewed studies that show direct correlation between accidents and BAC level.
You made his argument for him, he understands BAC completely. Hips weighs >250, he figures as a seasoned drinker him having 4-5 in the hour before driving home should be safe. He resents being held to the same standard as the 100 lb. lady.

Status
Not open for further replies.