[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, i really dont like em either. Cruel to the animals, for range and habitat reasons for most of them, putting a lion in a 100x50 area when their natural range is miles and miles, and even crueler for the sentient ones like gorillas and great apes.

I understand the argument that zoos raise money for conservation, and only house animals that wouldnt survive in the wild, but i dont fully buy into it. Thats like saying enslaving people raises money to raise awareness of slavery.

We've got "wildlife preserves" here where they keep and care for animals that can't live in the wild proper, but still try to make an effort to make it wild-ish. They don't do captive breeding or anything.

Living a truman show life vs getting euthanized, I'm sure either sucks in some way but you gotta pick one.

• Gravy
  • Sad
Reactions: adi and wetwillie
Yeah, i really dont like em either. Cruel to the animals, for range and habitat reasons for most of them, putting a lion in a 100x50 area when their natural range is miles and miles, and even crueler for the sentient ones like gorillas and great apes.

I understand the argument that zoos raise money for conservation, and only house animals that wouldnt survive in the wild, but i dont fully buy into it. Thats like saying enslaving people raises money to raise awareness of slavery.
It's not quite like that though. Enslaving people raises money for the people who own them to buy more slaves. None of that money goes into helping the slaves. I think it depends on the zoo as to how bad the exploitation is. On top of that, most zoo animals never get the space they need. I prefer taking my kids to petting zoos or sanctuaries, but those can also lack the space needed for animals.

The argument for zoos being educational is BS too. There's way more to learn about animals from reading and watching the discovery channel.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and wetwillie
Zoos are exploitative
Hate, hate, hate the zoos. Sure, some animals might be kept from extinction through zoos but they 99% suck. The animals are miserable and yes, learn about animals through the Internet. I also have strong feels about large dogs that live in small spaces. imo, IF you can't provide a space 30X their body length at least 3 times a day you are just a cruel fuck who needs to spend a few days in a small closet.

2101143120210114153633.jpg
This is better than a zoo like up here in the north since the large animals have more space and can use it all year. That seems more "animal preserve". Hope they treat them well.

I had a Proto pipe. You kept your hash balls in the tube and it had the top to slam shut to stop your hash from burning away. The little poker and the resin trap were nice features as well.

misp89.jpg
This is how I got baked on the way to mandatory chapel in college.

Then sometimes it was MD20/20 in a Gatorade bottle to sip during.

Status
Not open for further replies.