This is NOT a Battlefield 2 thread.

KNYTE said:
I've strung my current PC along for over 3 years now. It's gotten to the point where I can't upgrade it any further as the board is AGP and all next-gen GPUs are being released PCI-E. Otherwise I would probably still be adding new parts to it.;)

On the rare occasions that I buy a new PC I usually go big so that I can make it last for a long time.

Anyway, my other reason for the upgrade is QuakeWars and the other new-tech games that are coming. My existing PC barely runs Quake 4 without it being a huge multi-player battlefield.
That's cool. If you want/need a new machine, then go for it. I'm not trying to stop you.

As is for me now, the only thing I'd bother upgrading is the proc. I'm eventually going to pick up one of the last 939 X2's and leave my machine at that. That'll hold for more than a few years. Now .. the monitor and the printer ... there are a couple of things that badly need to be upgraded. I'll have to say, if you haven't moved to a widescreen desktop, you're missing out. Soooo shiney...:drool:

My good ol' 19inch tube monitor (which I've had for about 5 years now) is still chugging along and I don't really have a reason to go widescreen until it dies.

Perhaps I should help it along.

:shifty:

theacoustician said:
Soooo shiney...:drool:

Ooo! Shiney? Where shiney? :happy:

Edit: ok, watched on of the preview vids on GS, looks pretty damn sweet. Making me want to go out and pick up a copy of BF2 to play around with. Haven't been playing much of anything recently cause there just isn't anything out that I am interested in, except completeing Jiminey's Journal in KHII.

Last edited:
theacoustician said:
You guys seem to buy a whole lot of stuff.

I can see how it seems that way, but the bike, gun, and computer are simply three different choices to spend his money on. He doesn't get all of them. Actually, we've completely ruled out getting the bike right now, so it's down to the gun or computer, and he'll probably change his mind 283 times between now and actually getting whatever it is he chooses.

Infact, I've got a $50 BB GC burning a hole in my wallet, maybe I'll go pick up a copy of the Delux ed that comes with the expansion so then you can all kick my ass :hi2u:

kiwi said:
I can see how it seems that way, but the bike, gun, and computer are simply three different choices to spend his money on. He doesn't get all of them. Actually, we've completely ruled out getting the bike right now, so it's down to the gun or computer, and he'll probably change his mind 283 times between now and actually getting whatever it is he chooses.
Ok, so you aren't actually getting all this stuff, you're just using the forum as a sounding board to help make a decision. Makes a little more sense. I was begining to think you had some special side business that you guys weren't sharing with the rest of us.

kiwi said:
Guns only appreciate in value.

Computers only depreciate in value.

That is all.

theacoustician said:
Ok, so you aren't actually getting all this stuff, you're just using the forum as a sounding board to help make a decision. Makes a little more sense. I was begining to think you had some special side business that you guys weren't sharing with the rest of us.

Yeah, I guess I should've been more specific. We have indeed ruled out the bike for now, for multiple reasons, money being at the forefront.

The other two I've got $1k line in the sand on.

I guess we are getting the puppy as well, but we're getting a killer deal on it since the breeder is a friend of mine.

Last edited:
My unlocked 6800 vid card should be able to run BF2 ok, correct? Think the main place I'm lacking for this game is memory, only have 1GB. Isn't it a RAM hog?

FlamingGlory said:
Guns only appreciate in value.

Computers only depreciate in value.

That is all.
not all guns appreciate in value but they're generally a sound investment, especially colts. any good deal on anything colt you find, grab it. I'd bet money that by the end of the decade they'll announce a complete withdrawl from the civilian market

bast_imret said:
My unlocked 6800 vid card should be able to run BF2 ok, correct? Think the main place I'm lacking for this game is memory, only have 1GB. Isn't it a RAM hog?
it is, another GB would do you well. I have 3GB and my bottleneck is the processor though I'd love to get a second 6800xt in here but I think my first upgrade for this PC will be a faster proc

Last edited:
FlyNavy said:

colt.jpg

It works every time :chikken:

FlyNavy said:
not all guns appreciate in value but they're generally a sound investment, especially colts. any good deal on anything colt you find, grab it. I'd bet money that by the end of the decade they'll announce a complete withdrawl from the civilian market
Obviously not all. Most finely built ones though.

Colt withdrawl... Try next year. They were bough by General Dynamics.

FlamingGlory said:
Obviously not all. Most finely built ones though.

Colt withdrawl... Try next year. They were bough by General Dynamics.

General Dynamics 45 Malt Liquor . . . nah, it just doesn't roll off the tounge as nicely. :fly: