This is NOT a Battlefield 2 thread.

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
It is in fact a Battlefield 2142 thread.

For those who have yet to see its trailer...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sCn5EVMtv_0

This fall looks to have some very promising PC games coming (TFC2, QuakeWars, 2142) and I would be remiss not to deal out my specialized digital death to all who stand against me. After looking at the options to spend my small share of the house sale money I've decided that I'm going to be building a new gaming rig.

This new "deathstar", as I wil likely call it, will be far more powerful than its predecessor. It will consists of the following parts:

nVidia SLI Capable motherboard (probably Gigabyte)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2GB of 6400 DDR2 RAM
250-300GB HD
nVidia Gefore 7900GT (then I'll get a second one next year sometime for SLI hawtness)
Stand alone physix card
Logitech X-230 speakers

Am I missing anything? Any parts I should replace with others?

Who else is looking forward to 2142 with great interest? After viewing several of the gameplay movies last night I think it's going to be even more fun than BF2. The new Titan game mode looks like it will be riot. Titans are basically huge warships (that you can run around and fight in) that hover at a certain height but are drivable vehicles. They have seperate cannon and rocker launching positions, and act as carriers for the Talon hoverjets. The object in Titan is simple: Destroy the other teams Titan. This can be done by either infiltrating the titan on foot and destroying the nuclear core, or by taking control of ICBM stations on the map and "nuking" the other teams Titan.

Pic of the Titan getting blown up:
4-bf2142film3.jpg

Pic of the Talon hoverjets
640px-BF2142.060505.04.jpg

I will kill you all.

That is all.

edit: Video of the Titan getting nuked and assaulted...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gG0QT_Ab1Ao&mode=related&search=

Last edited:
You guys seem to buy a whole lot of stuff.

Your build looks fine but ditch the physics card for now. There are very few games that utilize it and those that do are minor improvements at best. Games that really need it are 6 months to 1 year out still and by then, you'll probably be able to pick it up for cheap(er).

When are they gonna make Battlefield 1492? I wanna be on the Indians so I can camp the canoe spawn point and then sneak into your fort. I'd get my scalping badge in no time.

bast_imret said:
The real question is, will it be able to play this . . .

Lego Star Wars Image...

LSW is a lot of fun, if the new PC can't play it I will send it back and then burn the store to the ground.

why_ask_why said:
might have to get this and start kicking y'alls asses again :fly:

Your tank whoring < My Mech whoring

bast_imret said:
When are they gonna make Battlefield 1492? I wanna be on the Indians so I can camp the canoe spawn point and then sneak into your fort. I'd get my scalping badge in no time.

I like where this is going.

theacoustician said:
You guys seem to buy a whole lot of stuff.

Your build looks fine but ditch the physics card for now. There are very few games that utilize it and those that do are minor improvements at best. Games that really need it are 6 months to 1 year out still and by then, you'll probably be able to pick it up for cheap(er).

Good point. Supposedly 2142 will have support for it, but you're probably right about being able to get it cheaper later.

Drool-Boy said:
what the hell is a physics card?

It's an independent processor for physics effects in game. Particulates, water, smoke, those kinds of things will all be processed seperately so that your GPU and CPU are given more bandwith to crunch graphics and whatnot.

Last edited:
KNYTE said:
LSW is a lot of fun, if the new PC can't play it I will send it back and then burn the store to the ground.

Your tank whoring < My Mech whoring

sadly mistaken if you think I'll be in a tank in 2142 :p

bast_imret said:

that actually sounds cool

http://bf2142.com/content/Marcus_Nilsson_Q_A

Does BF2142 have support for the PhysX chip?

Dice are always looking into ways of making more compelling games, the PhysX chip is obviously on our radar as are other hardware add ins that could increase the experience. Being a MP game predominately however, we need to keep the experiences as similar as possible and we need to be really careful not introducing advantages or disadvantages with new technologies. For 2142 we are not planning this kind of support.

KNYTE said:

The new one based on the original movies comes out next month :happy:

Will 2142 have DX10 support?

KNYTE said:
Whores!

Oh well, no need for the Physcard now.
Sorry man, but better you know now than spending money you don't need to spend, right?

I mean, by all accounts I've seen, this is more of a BF2 mod than a whole new game. If your boxen runs BF2, its supposed to run this just fine. So if you want a new machine, that's cool. You just don't need it if you can play BF2 now (supposedly).

theacoustician said:
Sorry man, but better you know now than spending money you don't need to spend, right?

I mean, by all accounts I've seen, this is more of a BF2 mod than a whole new game. If your boxen runs BF2, its supposed to run this just fine. So if you want a new machine, that's cool. You just don't need it if you can play BF2 now (supposedly).

I've strung my current PC along for over 3 years now. It's gotten to the point where I can't upgrade it any further as the board is AGP and all next-gen GPUs are being released PCI-E. Otherwise I would probably still be adding new parts to it.;)

On the rare occasions that I buy a new PC I usually go big so that I can make it last for a long time.

Anyway, my other reason for the upgrade is QuakeWars and the other new-tech games that are coming. My existing PC barely runs Quake 4 without it being a huge multi-player battlefield.