This is exciting!

That came from a FDA report. They said the number was as high as 80% of places use imitation calamari which as you said is the outter ring of the pig anus. They said unless it has the suckers and it's obvious that it's squid it's most likely pig.

I just gave up calamari forever.

wait a sec.

can you legally sell someone calamari, but serve them pig anus? Don't you have to tell people what they are eating. I'd suspect muslims would have a slight problem with this.
It's the same with meat glue. They can mold a fillet mignon from scraps and sell it to you as a legit steak.

That came from a FDA report. They said the number was as high as 80% of places use imitation calamari which as you said is the outter ring of the pig anus. They said unless it has the suckers and it's obvious that it's squid it's most likely pig.

fuck me, that's not right.

I'm glad I only eat my squid raw at a sushi bar. at least I know that isn't porky's ballon knot.

I love living in atlantic canada, where I can buy a whole squid straight from the fisherman and cut it into rings myself.

I tell YOU that YOU are wrong. I actually get on with most of the people here. Stop mistaking yourself for everyone.

lol yeah just me... why tell obvious bullshit lies that are going to be thrown in your face soon? Or are you actually planning on not correcting anyone else on this forum in a overly arrogant way?

what am I say... you're just spouting the first nonsensical crap that came to mind in order to produce any sort of reply. You like to play yourself as someone above others here. and it's obvious your personal life has led you to take this path of blowing wind up your own ass in order to pretend you aren't what you really are.

your life sucks. so does mine. be fake if you want, but you ain't fooling me

Last edited:
fuck me, that's not right.

I'm glad I only eat my squid raw at a sushi bar. at least I know that isn't porky's ballon knot.

The actual report was specifically around seafood not Calamari in general. They listed out all of the top fish that people order and want they tend to actually be. They said fish replacement is a very large issue not just here but all over.

The actual report was specifically around seafood not Calamari in general. They listed out all of the top fish that people order and want they tend to actually be. They said fish replacement is a very large issue not just here but all over.

Something crazy like 80% of sushi is not the fish it's supposed to be.

They have been having this problem here in florida where what is being sold as 'swordfish' is actually some shit replacement.

I have no idea how they can legally get away with that. How is that any different than selling a gucci purse at full price but giving a cheap knock off instead?

fuck, that just pisses me off.

Something crazy like 80% of sushi is not the fish it's supposed to be.

If you buy it in a grocery store. Go to a good sushi restaurant, whose reputation is staked on what they prepare, and you're getting what you order. No self respecting Japanese chef would lie to his customers. You can verify it by having the same fish elsewhere, or in other countries. Shark is shark, eel is eel, etc. In the really expensive sushi joints, you can watch them cut the fucking fish up right in front of you.

Commercial sushi will say right on the package that it's imitation whatever it is. And I'm fine with that. $6 California rolls don't have to be authentic to me. Just tasty.

They have been having this problem here in florida where what is being sold as 'swordfish' is actually some shit replacement.

I have no idea how they can legally get away with that. How is that any different than selling a gucci purse at full price but giving a cheap knock off instead?

fuck, that just pisses me off.

If I recall correctly swordfish was the number one fish on their list

If you buy it in a grocery store. Go to a good sushi restaurant, whose reputation is staked on what they prepare, and you're getting what you order. No self respecting Japanese chef would lie to his customers. You can verify it by having the same fish elsewhere, or in other countries. Shark is shark, eel is eel, etc. In the really expensive sushi joints, you can watch them cut the fucking fish up right in front of you.

Commercial sushi will say right on the package that it's imitation whatever it is. And I'm fine with that. $6 California rolls don't have to be authentic to me. Just tasty.

You'd think that would be the case but it's not.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...h-seafood-fraud-common-oceana-report/1927065/

I don't think any of those places are reputable sushi joints, and that article probably doesn't apply to 90% of seafood eaters anyway. I've never once ordered white tuna. And if you can't tell the difference between red snapper and tilapia, I'm not sure why. I guess they're vaguely similar in that they're both mild fish. I've never mistaken cod for catfish, either. I eat seafood 4-5 times a week though, and sushi is my favorite food on earth. So maybe I'm not representative of the general population. And the sushi restaurants I frequent, and which I'm using as my representative example, prepare the fish. They don't just hand you a plate at your table. You can watch them right there.