Thinking of Buying a house... again.

Wood paneling is ghetto. Cement board looks just like drywall.
the cheap stuff is ghetto, but you could do something nice in wood if you had loads of cash to blow.

other options: skip the studs too and do rammed-earth construction? recycled corn-husk wall panels?

question... what do the rest of the houses in that area go for?

just remember when adding value to a house... you cant make it the most expensive house on the block or noone will want to buy it.

question... what do the rest of the houses in that area go for?

just remember when adding value to a house... you cant make it the most expensive house on the block or noone will want to buy it.
houses in decent shape in this area start at about 100-130k. Basically, 80-100/s.f. I'm not going to pay more than 55-60/s.f. which gives me some leeway to put money in that i'll still be able to get back out.

the only thing that worries me right now is that i'm going to have to build closing costs and foundation levelling into the note. which means that even if i get it for about 59000 the note will be 70000. foundation levelling adds value, but closing costs definitely don't. i'm going to have to make it work for a while before i'm rightside up.

Last edited:
I've started compiling the paperwork for the offer. I have the contract all filled out, I just need to assemble the required addenda and address the wording of the section dealing with my requirement that the seller have the foundation leveled by a contractor chosen from among the bids approved by the buyer (me). I also need to get the addendum that pertains to my down payment assistance program to be included.

Should have everything together by tonight, need to get two more bids for foundation leveling tomorrow.

Oooo we're building a house, going to sign mortgage papers today and sign our lives away.

Hopefully we can break ground in the next 2-3 weeks and move in by October.

:egads:

being a grown up is weird