Think we will ever discover intelligent, alien life?

Why wouldn't we? I mean people used to think you'd fall off the Earth if you went out far enough and look at us now!

I say that because I hear too many scientists saying we can't do this, we can't do that, etc. Plus, to get past the oort cloud in a reasonable amount of time would be "too costly". Nobody wants to spend the money to get there.

I say that because I hear too many scientists saying we can't do this, we can't do that, etc. Plus, to get past the oort cloud in a reasonable amount of time would be "too costly". Nobody wants to spend the money to get there.

I've also heard a scientist tell me that the researchers who say we can't do this or that have absolutely no imagination, and are only as good as their papers tell you. Really most of them would make far better engineers then scientists.

How should first contact be handled? Should the government do it and at first restrict public knowledge until they are deemed safe or should anyone be allowed contact?

I'm reading The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick and first contact is more less done by a private individual rather than a government. So far it's starting to appear that the alien race has introduced the individual to a substance that to them is barely even tobacco but to us is mind blowing addictive substance. They are aiding the individual in sharing his great find with his fellow man.

How should first contact be handled? Should the government do it and at first restrict public knowledge until they are deemed safe or should anyone be allowed contact?

I'm reading The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick and first contact is more less done by a private individual rather than a government. So far it's starting to appear that the alien race has introduced the individual to a substance that to them is barely even tobacco but to us is mind blowing addictive substance. They are aiding the individual in sharing his great find with his fellow man.

Thats a fucked up book

Currently, true. However, technology seems to grow in huge spurts. Today's impossible is next decade's grind.

CNN.com today

Spacecraft to blast off in search of 'Earths'

* Story Highlights
* Kepler spacecraft to be launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station late Friday
* It contains a special telescope that will stare at 100,000 stars for several years
* Mission goal is to find Earth-like planets with potential to have liquid water on surface
* This is "the platinum age of astronomy," scientist says

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/03/06/nasa.kepler.launch.planets/index.html

Doesn't really matter, since the chances of us surviving first contact are probably pretty small.

True. One of the aliens will sneeze and we'll all be dead within a day. Or we'll get some crazy alien vd that kills us all. If someone is willing to fuck a monkey and get aids then no doubt someone will nail an alien if it's possible.

Last edited:
maybe we'll luck out and the aliens will be an entire race of jeri ryan clones

Jeri-Ryan-Star-Trek_l.jpg

lol, i googled her to figure out who she was. second reference i've seen made to her today, other one was in an old dilbert episode... got me curious