things that might be important

Jonny_B

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥76
This pertains to the recent problems with the F-15. Who determined the source of the problem? Who created the cost estimate to refit the existing planes to eliminate the problem? Is it the same company that will benefit if the decision is made to replace all F-15's with the newer F-22?

I betcha it is. I really need to find a way to avoid paying taxes if this is where the money goes.

it's a 40 year old airframe, of course there are going to be problems

but we can't rely on the f22s, they're way too expensive for the air force to equip all their squadrons with it. the f35 is still a few years off so until then the Eagle-E will remain in service

prometheum on genmay works on them for a living, I'll ask him for whatever specifics he can offer

it's a 40 year old airframe, of course there are going to be problems

but we can't rely on the f22s, they're way too expensive for the air force to equip all their squadrons with it. the f35 is still a few years off so until then the Eagle-E will remain in service

prometheum on genmay works on them for a living, I'll ask him for whatever specifics he can offer
Yeah, the E is still in service. it's the others that have been grounded that I'm worried about. I understand that it's a major part of the airframe that is affected, but surely for national defense patrols it can be repaired much more cheaply than it would be to replace them with F-22's.

Can't wait to hear what Prometheum says.

well yeah, the raptor is 140 million a pop. the f35 will be under 100 but still expensive. I imagine they'll keep those planes in service for as long as they can

we might have to wait a while for his response...I imagine he's kinda busy right now :lol:

Needs more stealth planes.

That way you can say you're sending them in, but not actually do it. No one will know the difference.

the f35 will be stealthy but not as stealthy as the raptor

external weapons pods and such. keeps costs down

plus the marine/RAF version wouldn't make much sense, kinda hard to pull off stealthy vtol :p

First the F22 majority stake holder is Lockheed Martin and the F15 was made by McDonnell Douglas which is now Boeing. Once the final shipment of F22s are sent to the already designated 7 squadrons they can look at sending the F15s and F16s to the grave. The AF is constantly going through the process to decommission the older an unneeded airframes i.e. the F117 and 141. Overall the government just makes fiscal changes in other areas to meet the demands of their aircraft. They just cut around 9000 people and that levels out for their cost issues. With the ability of the AF to do more from remote locations through the use of planes that can go farther, air refueling, and UAVs they don't have the need for as many personnel. They did the same thing in 1992 when the cut a bunch of people and closed alot of bases.

First the F22 majority stake holder is Lockheed Martin and the F15 was made by McDonnell Douglas which is now Boeing. Once the final shipment of F22s are sent to the already designated 7 squadrons they can look at sending the F15s and F16s to the grave. The AF is constantly going through the process to decommission the older an unneeded airframes i.e. the F117 and 141. Overall the government just makes fiscal changes in other areas to meet the demands of their aircraft. They just cut around 9000 people and that levels out for their cost issues. With the ability of the AF to do more from remote locations through the use of planes that can go farther, air refueling, and UAVs they don't have the need for as many personnel. They did the same thing in 1992 when the cut a bunch of people and closed alot of bases.

AIR FORCE OF ONE

also, prometheum says that this all happened back in november, the fleet was only grounded for a short time

(3:11:42 PM) prometheum: negative ghost rider f-15e's were only grounded for 2 weeks, that was back in november
(3:17:11 PM) prometheum: yeah originally grounded all f-15's for 2 weeks back in the beginning of november, then they were ungrounded for a week then they grounded just the a-d models

This pertains to the recent problems with the F-15. Who determined the source of the problem? Who created the cost estimate to refit the existing planes to eliminate the problem? Is it the same company that will benefit if the decision is made to replace all F-15's with the newer F-22?

I betcha it is. I really need to find a way to avoid paying taxes if this is where the money goes.

i guess i'll chime in since i do work on them for a living...

the aircraft that fell apart in mid air was one from saint louis air national guard...the ANG normally gets the hand me down's....in this case 3 years ago they replaced their a/b models with c/d models from langely when langley got their first f-22's. langley and kadena f-15's are notoriously old. originally the f-15 was only supposed have a service life of 4000 hours...this was pushed to 8000 hours some time before i was born...e models are rated to 16000 hours. the older c models from kadena are starting to push the 8000 hour mark...a typical c model squadron puts anywhere between 200 and 250 hours on each aircraft per year

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/f-15-diagram.gif
basically the first series of inspections that we did involved the area between the speed brake and the cockpit otherwise known as bay 15...it houses the equivalent of your air conditioning system...and thats where the aircraft fell apart.

after doing the 1 or 2 week long inspection (don't really remember it was a while ago) they discovered 9 out of 400+ c/d models with cracked longerons in that area. after 1 week of flying they immediately stopped when some more cracks were discovered in the cockpit area...basically int he c model the area in the cockpit aft of the seat on the left hand side some cracks were discovered.

they grounded only the f-15a-d fleet the second time around...there are about 15 e models that were d models converted into e models...i'm not sure structurally if any changes are made to the aircraft foward of the speedbrake...i wouldn't see why there would be considering no extra stress is put on that area.

no one has anything to gain from this, except for the people who want more f-22's built...immediately after this the air force requested an additional 200 f-22's; and the AF is trying to get boeing to foot the bill for these repairs quoted at about $500,000 per aircraft

also, prometheum says that this all happened back in november, the fleet was only grounded for a short time

(3:11:42 PM) prometheum: negative ghost rider f-15e's were only grounded for 2 weeks, that was back in november
(3:17:11 PM) prometheum: yeah originally grounded all f-15's for 2 weeks back in the beginning of november, then they were ungrounded for a week then they grounded just the a-d models

well the entire fleet was grounded for 2 weeks only mission essential aircraft could fly (basically all the e models deployed to afghanistan) and any combat alert aircraft, like those in alaska. then a week later all the a-d models regardless of them being on combat alert status or not were grounded

edit: i just talked to one of my friends in alaska (they've got some of the newest c models in the inventory) and a few of them are gonna be grounded permanently...pretty surprising to me...also let it be known that boeing has a major part running these inspections and they've got a lot to lose...

Last edited: