Hawt Things I want

Heating that amount of water all winter? Holy shit, that's a lot of energy expenditure. Would be cheaper to drain it.

if you don't have to drain a regular in ground pool, why would you have to do it to this one?

not really, like I said, a 6 foot deep pool won't freeze more than a couple feet at the top. I had a 4" above ground and only the top 12 inches froze. Never more. The ground is a great insulator. It really wouldn't cost all that much to keep the water in the whole thing heated to 38 degrees. & tbh, you might not even have to do that.

https://www.google.com/#q=closing a pool for winter in ground

Or, you could just handle it the way it's supposed to be handled and not worry.

Your suggestion is to build it better because you want to winterize your pool in an incorrect way.

Telling? I think so.
If you have a pool that can just cave in when empty then you have a shit pool that should be condemned. What idiot builds a pool that can cave in?

Fiberglass?
Weird.
All the pools here are concrete, so thats what Im familiar with.
Id never think to do an in-ground pool of fiberglass.

In areas where soil expansion and contraction from permafrost and other reasons is a given, fiberglass offers a flexibility that would crack your typical southern climate inground pool.

Fiberglass?
Weird.
All the pools here are concrete, so thats what Im familiar with.
Id never think to do an in-ground pool of fiberglass.
I have a plastic pool.

It's about 8 inches deep. Perfect for when you want to let your dog get wet and jump around in the water, or when you want to look like a lonely pedophile.

In areas where soil expansion and contraction from permafrost and other reasons is a given, fiberglass offers a flexibility that would crack your typical southern climate inground pool.
My grandmother has had a concrete in ground pool for 50 years, no cracks.

Proper pool maintenance is key.

the problem with draining it is that it can cave in due to the lack of support from the inside.

I never drained mine the 10 years we had it. just winterized. no leakage.
Not so much cave in as pop-out of the ground.

It's hilarious to see an entire concrete pool go buoyant after heavy rain.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Regarding pools in the winter.

I heard a story near where I used to park my fat butt.

Of some firefighters who placed a ladder at the rear of a house.

Got most of the way to a roof, and discovered that they had placed it on a snow-covered pool.

They noticed because they suddenly dropped 10 feet with a running chainsaw in their hands.