GAY There's just no stopping it anymore.

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ing-comcastnbc-merger-got-money-comcast.shtml

What Corruption Looks Like: 87% Of Congressional Reps Supporting Comcast/NBC Merger Got Money From Comcast

Let me start out by pointing out that I'm on the record thinking that people are severely overreacting to the Comcast/NBC merger. I think that it's likely to be a bad business decision, but I see no reason why the government should block it. If anything, it seems like it'll just be a modern updating of the AOL/Time Warner catastrophe, as management won't really know what to do and will just make things worse off. That said, the companies have been fighting hard against opposition to the merger, and one way to fight is with money. So it comes as little surprise to find out that 84 of the 97 Congressional Reps who signed a letter urging that the FCC approve the merger without conditions, received campaign contributions from Comcast.

Now, this is not to say that those 84 are corrupt. But, as Larry Lessig has pointed out, whether or not there is actual corruption here obscures the point that it certainly looks corrupt, and certainly decreases citizens' willingness to trust that their government is acting in the interests of the people they're supposed to represent.

If anything, this brings more support to the idea that if our elected officials are going to accept large donations from companies and then legislate in their interests, that it makes sense to require those elected officials to wear patches indicating who's funding them, a la Nascar uniforms.

corruptiondemotivationa.jpg

how much money exactly?

i checked my companies political donations on some website, they pretty much gave to everyone, didn't care which party or anything... wanted to be well rounded.

the people can't win on those grounds.

It's weird... Else where it's called corruption, but here it's called lobbying..

Private corporations should not be allowed access to government officials... they here elected by you guys and should only work for you guys..

it's unfathomable how this was ever allowed to begin but it surely needs to end. politicians who take money should be in jail along with the people bribing them.

it's unfathomable how this was ever allowed to begin but it surely needs to end. politicians who take money should be in jail along with the people bribing them.

You've never taken a free lunch, gift card, cash, or some other gift to get something done quickly, or do something that you wouldn't normally do? That shit makes the world go 'round, there's nothing you can do to stop or curb it.

I'm not saying it's right, but it is in our nature.

You've never taken a free lunch, gift card, cash, or some other gift to get something done quickly, or do something that you wouldn't normally do? That shit makes the world go 'round, there's nothing you can do to stop or curb it.

I'm not saying it's right, but it is in our nature.

not that I can recall, nope

we're both systems admins. do you get bribed? :confused:

Yes, all of the damn time. You've honestly never been given something to put something at the top of your "to do" pile? Or cut some red tape to get something done? REALLY?

Last edited:
It's weird... Else where it's called corruption, but here it's called lobbying..

Private corporations should not be allowed access to government officials... they here elected by you guys and should only work for you guys..

Do you know how to get rid of this? Get rid of the the 16th amendment (progressive income tax) and institute either a flat tax or a national sales tax requiring 75% majority to change. The federal government will never do this however because they would lose to much power without the tax code.