Ontopic There is something interesting going on in the Middle East

I have my doubts about a smart grid. The power company has been redoing the downtown power grid with regular conventional up to date wiring because it's 80 years old and so far it's taken more than 2 years and they aren't even close to finished.

Working for a power distribution company I can tell you the issues involving smart grid are far from solved and they are just throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks.

oh look, some baldy fucking english tryhards have taken over said gadaffi's house in london.

bbc just interviewed one of them. he was fucking whiter than i am, with a silly brummie accent to boot.

people need to stop giving a fuck about other countries. arm these rebels and they'll be shooting us up in 10 years time.

this shit is arab propeganda for arabs, stop meddling.

This. Arabia has been in constant conflict for millenia. What makes "superpowers" think they can change that? Leave the sandrats be and stop giving them technologies. If they can't figure shit out for themselves about proper diplomacy and cooperation and equal human rights, what makes you think they can handle nuclear weaponry and industry properly?

This. Arabia has been in constant conflict for millenia. What makes "superpowers" think they can change that? Leave the sandrats be and stop giving them technologies. If they can't figure shit out for themselves about proper diplomacy and cooperation and equal human rights, what makes you think they can handle nuclear weaponry and industry properly?

exactly. i feel for the people who have died due to this shit, but what can i do? nothing. none of us can do anything about it. twitter forwarding ports isn't helping people, youtube not deleting videos of people with caved-in faces isn't helping anything.

the switch in language this past week from "protesters" to "rebels" should be evidence enough. keep the wests meddling noses out.

You are right (as always), Liam. It isn't Arabia. I should have clarified the Greater Middle Eastern area has always attacked themselves.

It doesn't matter when it was paid for, or how much was paid for it. You pay the current cost of replacing that gas when you consume it at the pump.

Are you suggesting that Shell bought the gas on the open market the day before? I'm pretty sure it gets stored somewheres. For months.

Are you suggesting that Shell bought the gas on the open market the day before? I'm pretty sure it gets stored somewheres. For months.

In order to replace the gallon of gas you just purchased, a new gallon must be refined from crude oil, which must be paid for at current rates. Even if you replace that gallon of gas at the pump with a gallon that was purchased/refined/shipped to a storage tank a year ago, now that storage tank has one less gallon in it. Which in turn must be replaced. At current market value. Do you expect Shell to absorb that margin, or do you think they will pass it on to you at the pump?

http://www.anheatingoil.com/compone...1.html?sms_ss=reddit&at_xt=4d7a384b801071b8,0

Oil prices have dropped below $100 per barrel for the first time in more than a week after a massive earthquake spawned a tsunami that slammed into northern Japan. Crude-oil prices weakened as markets assessed potential outages of refinery capacity and the impact on overall crude demand, after a massive 8.9-magnitude quake struck the country while tsunami waves crashed onto its coastline and threatened a number of other countries. Japan is the third-largest oil importer in the world. It's unclear how much its economy will be affected by the disaster. But the news helped slow down what had been a three-week rally in oil markets.

Gasoline prices in the U.S. continue to rise. The national average for regular unleaded climbed above $3.54 per gallon overnight. Crude-oil prices fell Friday while oil products markets strengthened following a severe earthquake and tsunami in Japan, although the extent of the impact on oil infrastructure remained unclear, traders said.

The reaction in crude-oil futures may be temporary, as the market remains focused on unrest in the Middle East and North Africa as conflict in Libya intensifies and protests threaten to escalate in Saudi Arabia, the world's largest oil exporter, traders said.

According to several news reports, at least two nuclear power plants on Japan's Pacific Coast were automatically shut down after Friday's earthquake. The country's largest power utility, Tokyo Electric Power Co., said its nuclear power plants also stopped automatically, according to media reports. A fire also broke out at the Onagawa nuclear station near the epicenter of the quake.