Ontopic There is something interesting going on in the Middle East

What are we, one trick ponies? Why can't we focus on anything that would make a difference?

Regarding what happens to the excess energy. No one knows. So that's all just speculations right now..

home skillet, I totally agree that we should pay attention to anything that would make a difference, I just think the priority should be on things that will make the most significant difference. We're not one trick ponies but it's easier for society to accomplish a grand task if the goals are focused and specific.

home skillet, I totally agree that we should pay attention to anything that would make a difference, I just think the priority should be on things that will make the most significant difference. We're not one trick ponies but it's easier for society to accomplish a grand task if the goals are focused and specific.

lol, so basically what you said was, "We're not one trick ponies, but we are"..

When it comes to energy conservation, we should care less about how society copes with adjusting and just do it and let each individual worry about how they adjust. This issue is more prominent they people realize because no ones is championing it.

that's not what I said. one trick ponies are ponies capable of only doing one thing. we are capable of doing more but we will see better results if we focus on the big things instead of the small ones. there are multiple big things to focus on in regards to power generation and distribution so that kinda precludes the notion of being one trick ponies

how society copes and adjusts is the most important thing because this is something that cannot be forced by decree. you don't rule the world nor do you get to decide what's best for everyone else so unless you get people to voluntarily improve their actions it's simply not going to happen. you can't expect to throw a tantrum and have everyone fall in line with your ideas, people have to want to make things better and if they don't see their even minor sacrifices making any kind of significant difference - and these small things simply won't compared to the rest of the potential solutions - then they're not going to adopt these changes.

I think it's a piss poor excuse that you will see better results focusing on one thing. There's no logical reason why a government as powerful and as equipped as the US government can't focus on the whole issue at once..

You certainly can implement change and force everyone to follow. The government do this on a daily basis. Granted not on such a large scale, but boo hoo, deal with it.. 'cause you know what? either way, you're going to deal with it one way or another..

like I said, focus on the big issues. there is no one thing that will solve everything but the bigger issues are more important than how often people use their dryers. it's not an excuse, it is a fact of life.

No, you can't implement change and force everyone to follow on an issue like this that affects the basics of daily life. People have to be willing to change and the best way to do that is to make the results of those changes meaningful. Saying boo hoo deal with it isn't going to solve anything. Either you are committed to making things better or you just want to feel that unjustified moral superiority. If your goals are genuine then you'll accept the fact that you have to find the most effective and efficient ways of making things better instead of pretending that huffing around and throwing your little tantrums is going to matter.

put it this way... you are going to have to make dramatic changes proactively or reactively. All I'm doing is choosing proactively.

That's another one... Americans are obsessed with air conditioning..

In the ghetto if you don't use your air conditioner then you have to sit on the porch. Sitting on the porch is the signal to the local gangbangers that you want to be shot so they can go into your house and run up your AC bill while drying their clothes and stealing your shit. It is cheaper and less shottier to just sit inside and run the AC.

put it this way... you are going to have to make dramatic changes proactively or reactively. All I'm doing is choosing proactively.

which is good but the proactive suggestion you're proposing is not very useful

this is a fuckton more important than air drying your clothes will ever be and until its implemented air drying won't matter one damn bit

In the ghetto if you don't use your air conditioner then you have to sit on the porch. Sitting on the porch is the signal to the local gangbangers that you want to be shot so they can go into your house and run up your AC bill while drying their clothes and stealing your shit. It is cheaper and less shottier to just sit inside and run the AC.

Shoot back?

which is good but the proactive suggestion you're proposing is not very useful

this is a fuckton more important than air drying your clothes will ever be and until its implemented air drying won't matter one damn bit

Again you keep thinking that I'm proposing air drying clothes as a single solution to the energy issue. I am not. Smart grid is nice, but it ain't going to fix the problem. Yet it can be added to the list of things to do, along side air drying your clothes..

smart grid will actually go one hell of a long way toward fixing the problem since, again, about half of our energy production is wasted in the grid we currently use. a smart grid would save far more energy than even stopping all dryer use altogether

smart grid, nuclear power, biofuel trucks and trains, hybrid/hydrogen/electric cars; all of which infinitely more important than air drying and switching out lightbulbs. again, focus on the big stuff then worry about the small stuff. all the small stuff put together doesn't even come close to the benefits of fixing even one of the big problems

Im all for being green, but clothes smell funny if they are dried outside. At least here they do...Texas I couldn't smell anything tho.

I have my doubts about a smart grid. The power company has been redoing the downtown power grid with regular conventional up to date wiring because it's 80 years old and so far it's taken more than 2 years and they aren't even close to finished.

I have my doubts about a smart grid. The power company has been redoing the downtown power grid with regular conventional up to date wiring because it's 80 years old and so far it's taken more than 2 years and they aren't even close to finished.

I'm still shocked at how long it takes things to be built or repaired in this country.

The circle out the front of the embassy was resurfaced and new gutters installed. Took them about 10 months to do it. Would have been done in 2 weeks back home.

oh look, some baldy fucking english tryhards have taken over said gadaffi's house in london.

bbc just interviewed one of them. he was fucking whiter than i am, with a silly brummie accent to boot.

people need to stop giving a fuck about other countries. arm these rebels and they'll be shooting us up in 10 years time.

this shit is arab propeganda for arabs, stop meddling.