Food The Vagatarian Thread

Are you old enough to remember this?

MV5BYTZjOWQ0MDItY2FkYi00Yjk0LWEwMTEtYjg3N2Y3ZTQ4YWNkL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,660,1000_AL_.jpg

Yeah, I think so. Long ago. I loved the animals attack genre when I was a kid.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
I believe this. I wild swing in one direction before "doctors say some meat is OK" and it swings back.

What I wonder mostly is how the Farm and Agriculture community will be operating.
Farming and Agriculture are already being controlled by mega corporations, who in turn control our government. That's not likely to change. They will just cut back on producing meat. So likely there will be even fewer hands involved. Cheap processed food will become an even bigger staple in our diets and health will only get worse as a result.

Unless we can take down these large companies the whole planet is going to suffer massively.

Farming and Agriculture are already being controlled by mega corporations, who in turn control our government. That's not likely to change.
I mean more of the process. We've got machines, giant farm tractors, to handle acres and acres of crops. (and these machines are just now almost entirely automated) Giant warehouses next to fields for raising animals. It wasn't this mass produced when our parents were growing up. What's the process going to be for our grandkids?
Cheap processed food will become an even bigger staple in our diets and health will only get worse as a result.

Unless we can take down these large companies the whole planet is going to suffer massively.
Not sure we're going to take down these corps. Every couple years some govt agency raises an eyebrow. Then the corps come out with studies -done by 'respected' doctors that say 'THIS' is now better for us, we're already on it, and it's on the way to your homes.

lather, rinse, repeat.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
I mean more of the process. We've got machines, giant farm tractors, to handle acres and acres of crops. (and these machines are just now almost entirely automated) Giant warehouses next to fields for raising animals. It wasn't this mass produced when our parents were growing up. What's the process going to be for our grandkids? Not sure we're going to take down these corps. Every couple years some govt agency raises an eyebrow. Then the corps come out with studies -done by 'respected' doctors that say 'THIS' is now better for us, we're already on it, and it's on the way to your homes.

lather, rinse, repeat.

More localized, smaller scale food production is the good answer, even if it isn't the mega-profit answer.

Remember when things used to be "in season"?

More localized, smaller scale food production is the good answer, even if it isn't the mega-profit answer.

Remember when things used to be "in season"?

I like 'more local' but recently read an article that said even 'local' isn't always better.

I can't find the exact article. (myths/local eating/etc) but this was the gist:
Certainly the issues involved no longer seem clear-cut. Consider that supermarket stalwart: green beans from Kenya. These are air-freighted to stores to allow consumers to buy fresh beans when British varieties are out of season. Each packet has a little sticker with the image of a plane on it to indicate that carbon dioxide from aviation fuel was emitted in bringing them to this country. And that, surely, is bad, campaigners argue. Rising levels of carbon dioxide are trapping more and more sunlight and inexorably heating the planet, after all.

But a warning that beans have been air-freighted does not mean we should automatically switch to British varieties if we want to help the climate. Beans in Kenya are produced in a highly environmentally-friendly manner. 'Beans there are grown using manual labour - nothing is mechanised,' says Professor Gareth Edwards-Jones of Bangor University, an expert on African agriculture. 'They don't use tractors, they use cow muck as fertiliser; and they have low-tech irrigation systems in Kenya. They also provide employment to many people in the developing world. So you have to weigh that against the air miles used to get them to the supermarket.'

When you do that - and incorporate these different factors - you make the counter-intuitive discovery that air-transported green beans from Kenya could actually account for the emission of less carbon dioxide than British beans. The latter are grown in fields on which oil-based fertilisers have been sprayed and which are ploughed by tractors that burn diesel. In the words of Gareth Thomas, Minister for Trade and Development, speaking at a recent Department for International Development air-freight seminar: 'Driving 6.5 miles to buy your shopping emits more carbon than flying a pack of Kenyan green beans to the UK.'
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2008/mar/23/food.ethicalliving

I mean more of the process. We've got machines, giant farm tractors, to handle acres and acres of crops. (and these machines are just now almost entirely automated) Giant warehouses next to fields for raising animals. It wasn't this mass produced when our parents were growing up. What's the process going to be for our grandkids? Not sure we're going to take down these corps. Every couple years some govt agency raises an eyebrow. Then the corps come out with studies -done by 'respected' doctors that say 'THIS' is now better for us, we're already on it, and it's on the way to your homes.

lather, rinse, repeat.

It's up to people to vote with their dollars. That's the beautiful thing about capitalism, the customers are in complete control. The bad thing about capitalism is that people don't have a clue how much control they have or don't care.

Well it's not as black and white as that when you have "vegetarians" who eat eggs, dairy, fish, and even some eat birds. And while some vegans are cult like many just don't have another way to describe their diet without using a couple of sentences.

Either way there is no doubt that not using or eating animal products is the best thing you can do if you want to help planet right now instead of in 200 years. It's going to go that way anyways at some point. I predict it will get very close to everyone avoiding animal products in 50 years, with only the very rich continuing to use animal products. Factory farming is just not sustainable in the long run. It's not even sustainable now.
Careful, you're going to sound like a dickish vegan.

And yes, there are some wack job vegans on YouTube. Skip the "raw till 4pm" crap, skip the drama channels, skip the slaughterhouse vids.

There are some good ones on there, though. You'd like Cheap Lazy Vegan, I bet.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD and HipHugHer
You'd like Cheap Lazy Vegan, I bet.
How do you know me so well?!?

I'll probably just call it plant based. I don't really want the baggage that comes with "vegan" not out here in bumpkinville.

I think I can succeed this time since the wife is going to do it with me. It was so hard last time I tried because I was the only one in the house doing it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
My bad guys. I forget.

"Vegetarians" eat eggs, dairy, fish, and sometimes birds. Which makes real vegetarians have to use the word vegan.

Not using or eating animal products is good for the planet. Eventually the whole or most of the planet will be vegan because factory farming is not sustainable.

I have a cousin who's vegetarian. She don't like meat on her plate but figures dairy products etc are OK. You're not killing the cow by milking it, etc.

She's also the biggest vegetarian I've ever seen because cheese and sour cream.

We're also not technically "cousins" because her dad was adopted and she's still hot as a bbw. Unfortunately I'm left in the wilderness 'cause she's a mudshark and as a result I have the cutest, most beautiful 2nd cousin the world's ever seen and I'll kill the motherfucker that tries to help her load her salt bags in the parking lot.

I have a cousin who's vegetarian. She don't like meat on her plate but figures dairy products etc are OK. You're not killing the cow by milking it, etc.

We're also not technically "cousins" because her dad was adopted and she's still hot as a bbw. Unfortunately I'm left in the wilderness 'cause she's a mudshark and as a result I have the cutest, most beautiful 2nd cousin the world's ever seen and I'll kill the motherfucker that tries to help her load her salt bags in the parking lot.

Milk is rape

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and HipHugHer

Dairy cows are raped. The calfs are immediately taken away from their mother.

The male calfs are intentionally malnourished for a few months and then killed. To make the meat tast better.

The mothers are stood up in the same spot and constantly milked until they can no longer stand. About 6 years. Then they are killed. They normally live about 15 years but the abuse is too much for them.

The female calfs suffer the same as their mother.

The egg industry is almost as bad.

FYI

Please tell your cuz.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and APRIL