GAY The Useless Travel Thread

How many slipped and went all the way in?
:lol: There were four small sinks that filled from a large vat off to the side. Then they continued on down the line where like 8 floor fans were hanging above the line to dry them as they went by.

I think it was Woodford that has next to no machinery to move the barrels. Other than the barrel elevator to get them to the top of the rickhouse, everything is manually pushed along tracks around the place. Like WTF.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
... in your butt?

:lol: There were four small sinks that filled from a large vat off to the side. Then they continued on down the line where like 8 floor fans were hanging above the line to dry them as they went by.

I think it was Woodford that has next to no machinery to move the barrels. Other than the barrel elevator to get them to the top of the rickhouse, everything is manually pushed along tracks around the place. Like WTF.
That's what people pay for when they buy woodford.

That extra schmutz from under the workers' fingernails really adds to the experience, MAN.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and HipHugHer
So it's crazy how needlessly manual everything is. We saw the MM bottling line, with four people hand dipping bottles. EVERY bottle you've ever seen had a human dip it into wax.
I saw something similar at work this past week. Lots of the machines were fairly new and automation was up to par, but tracking part lots was straight out of the 50s or 60s

Woodford was probably my favorite place to visit out of all of them. Full of history and beautiful photo ops... would hit again.

I'm not a fan of Jack Daniels, but the Angel's Share tour was awesome and the tasting part was amazing too. They had other things to try that wasn't the flagship and I was blown away at how good it tasted.

Woodford was probably my favorite place to visit out of all of them. Full of history and beautiful photo ops... would hit again.
View attachment 9231
I'm not a fan of Jack Daniels, but the Angel's Share tour was awesome and the tasting part was amazing too. They had other things to try that wasn't the flagship and I was blown away at how good it tasted.
I agree with both of these. Woodford's property was so fucking beautiful. But Jack actually had some of the best stuff to taste. Although the Makers Private Select was pretty damn good.

There has to be a better way to make great bourbon. For example, throw charred staves in some sort of inert metal/plastic/smegma barrel. You still get the movement through wood without the gigantic waste of water. And if you use some sort of metal, you'll get faster temperature swings.

Obviously, it couldn't be called bourbon then, but there has to be some technology that we use these days for Christ's sake.

You're welcome to argue (and I'm sure you will) about how terrible my idea is, but you're missing the point. There HAS to be a better way.

There has to be a better way to make great bourbon. For example, throw charred staves in some sort of inert metal/plastic/smegma barrel. You still get the movement through wood without the gigantic waste of water. And if you use some sort of metal, you'll get faster temperature swings.

Obviously, it couldn't be called bourbon then, but there has to be some technology that we use these days for Christ's sake.

You're welcome to argue (and I'm sure you will) about how terrible my idea is, but you're missing the point. There HAS to be a better way.

traditions forbid better ways

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL and wetwillie

Who cares?

It's not like there's a great shortage of bourbon.

did I really?

I'm not saying there can't be a "better way" to make whisky, just that there's no point in doing it.

I'm sure they could write a dildocore web pisston that's entirely a switch case statement to monitor the osmosis through the barrels using an I'm-Very-SmartThings sensor and then change the hue of the lights on the outside of the factory, but as they say, necessity is the mother of invention, and there's no necessity here.