Ontopic The UF Photography Thread

I'd say I dabble...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/megalime/

and I'll be the nth person to repeat it, but gear isn't anything. I've gotten more than a few great shots on my olympus om1 film camera with the cheapest roll of b+w i could buy, and you can pick up an OM1 for nothing nowadays.

and I'm a whore for wide angle and primes, but I'm a big fan of the midrange zoom when I'm just walking around/hiking/birthdays/have no plans for anything/etc. 2.8 is fast enough for MOST things, and I'm more of a candid/landscape guy anyways, so i don't need 1.8/1.4 most of the time, and I like the flexibility for the moving subjects. That, and a midrange zoom is like, required for wedding photography (except for the portraits)

A man after my own heart.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/megalime/8526220693/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Love it!

I'm pretty good at photography but must too lazy to carry around an actual camera all of the time. :fly:

you know, before i got a cell phone, i used to have this attitude about people that took cell phone photos: "why would you do that, its such terrible quality, you might as well take a picture with a potato or not at all". Yeah...... now that i have a cell phone, its what comes out 90% of the time for pictures just because of convenience, even if it does take photos that look like they were taken with a potato.

I think no matter how much you spend on a camera or what equipment you buy, having a good eye for composition, setting, framing and lighting are much more important things. I can take a great picture with my point and shoot. I can take a crappy picture with excellent equipment. I don't have great equipment right now, but someday I might. I learned from lots of experience that no matter how good you are, most people only take a good picture like 1 in 10 times. Of course sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the day. I minored in photography in college. A lot has changed since then. I miss the days of darkroom innovation. I do love digital stuff too though, it's just such a different world.

I miss darkroom innovation.

Push/pull processing was fun, you get lots of cool results. I was a big fan of solarization as well. I did a solarized tombstone set for my photography class in college, prof said it was ridiculously morbid and gave me an A. Some solarized really weird. I was always a fan of toning as well.

Its strange that noone younger than us with the exception of a very small niche will ever know what a darkroom was. I never did a ton, but even with a pinhole camera i remember producing some pretty awesome photos by tweaking things in the darkroom

you know, before i got a cell phone, i used to have this attitude about people that took cell phone photos: "why would you do that, its such terrible quality, you might as well take a picture with a potato or not at all". Yeah...... now that i have a cell phone, its what comes out 90% of the time for pictures just because of convenience, even if it does take photos that look like they were taken with a potato.

yea, my phone has an excellent camera! I'm just not used to it & don't really fiddle with it enough to always get great pics, esp if it's just a quick, playful "point & click, then upload to Facebook/Instagram" pic. But, if I'm trying, then I have found I've gotten some excellent pics, mainly of nature. Then I will play with pics in PS.

Last edited:
yea, my phone has an excellent camera! I'm just not used to it & don't really fiddle with it enough to always get great pics, esp if it's just a quick, playful "point & click, then upload to Facebook/Instagram" pic. But, if I'm trying, then I have found I've gotten some excellent pics, mainly of nature. Then I will play with pics in PS.

Mine doesnt, its shit. And i still use it.

The biggest problem is probably me though, I shake now :( So except in the best of lighting, everything comes out blurry due to no IS

Mine doesnt, its shit. And i still use it.

The biggest problem is probably me though, I shake now :( So except in the best of lighting, everything comes out blurry due to no IS

Yea, aren't you the one with the ancient cell? Can't remember.

What's with the shaking?

I miss darkroom innovation.

Push/pull processing was fun, you get lots of cool results. I was a big fan of solarization as well. I did a solarized tombstone set for my photography class in college, prof said it was ridiculously morbid and gave me an A. Some solarized really weird. I was always a fan of toning as well.

wednesday-endures.jpg

Yea, aren't you the one with the ancient cell? Can't remember.

What's with the shaking?

I have a smartphone now at least, but its still equivalent to one from 2011 or so.

I dunno entirely as to the shaking, i used to have rock steady hands, so much so that I was going to be a neurosurgeon (that went away for other reasons, not the shaking) but i've just lost my steadiness, and its worse after i injured my hand pretty badly 6 months back.

I have a smartphone now at least, but its still equivalent to one from 2011 or so.

I dunno entirely as to the shaking, i used to have rock steady hands, so much so that I was going to be a neurosurgeon (that went away for other reasons, not the shaking) but i've just lost my steadiness, and its worse after i injured my hand pretty badly 6 months back.

Oh wow. Sounds similar to my situation. After my accident that resulted in severe head trauma, I have trouble with this at times, too. I notice it especially while painting & needing to focus intently on something. It ends up that my vision starts to get getting blurred & then a bit of hand shaking.

Oh wow. Sounds similar to my situation. After my accident that resulted in severe head trauma, I have trouble with this at times, too. I notice it especially while painting & needing to focus intently on something. It ends up that my vision starts to get getting blurred & then a bit of hand shaking.

This probably wont resonate quite so well with you as it would with a guy, but tiny buttons on dress shirt sleeves and collars.. i cant do them anymore, no matter how hard i try. I can spend 20 minutes trying to button a tiny button and never get it.

This probably wont resonate quite so well with you as it would with a guy, but tiny buttons on dress shirt sleeves and collars.. i cant do them anymore, no matter how hard i try. I can spend 20 minutes trying to button a tiny button and never get it.

NOPE! Totally relates! I don't do button downs at all! Drives me insane. I can do them on say my son, but myself...my vision gets blurry if I start utilizing the "head down to see the button" thing & then my fingers just don't want to work well. It's like if I don't LOOK at it, I can prob feel my way to getting it done, but once the eye contact is made, there is a shut down of motor skills there!

Last edited:
Don't know if it's ancient but Asa is the one that takes shitty cell pics because of his phone being broken

Oh, my questioning was based on a previous mention, and I couldn't remember if it was him that revealed a super old phone. I dunno. Maybe it was his pc? Can't remember!

I dont have the brain bit with the vision, mine is more a sensation relating to pressure thing in combination with the dexterity loss.

When i hurt my finger (index) the docs patched me up real good, and i got a lot back and im thankful for that, but its still different. I have skin sensation back almost fully, like i can feel when something touches my skin, but pressure sensation, the feeling under the skin is shit. Like i cant tell how hard im squeezing something, and therefore my strength goes away because i cant "pinch" things. Pulling freshness seals off? Cant do it for the stronger ones, have to cut them with a knife

images

I dont have the brain bit with the vision, mine is more a sensation relating to pressure thing in combination with the dexterity loss.

When i hurt my finger (index) the docs patched me up real good, and i got a lot back and im thankful for that, but its still different. I have skin sensation back almost fully, like i can feel when something touches my skin, but pressure sensation, the feeling under the skin is shit. Like i cant tell how hard im squeezing something, and therefore my strength goes away because i cant "pinch" things. Pulling freshness seals off? Cant do it for the stronger ones, have to cut them with a knife

images

I automatically cut those with a knife. Cannot be bothered!

took this of the cherry blossom tree next to the driveway. Bloomed for one day, then pooped all the petals everywhere.

3yR4tv2.jpg