Ontopic The UF Photography Thread

I'm no expert, but I really want to be. It's the technical aspects of photography that are fascinating. Understanding Bayer arrays and demosaicing, the components of exposure and how they are related (and can be duplicated with other functions and settings)... Anyone can take a pic. I want to be able to compose incredible ones.

:) I got you, dawg.

sigma-telephoto.jpg

Club thumb. DISGUSTING.

Digital photography is like a nerd's paradise. There is some really scientific (and fascinating) shit inside a digital sensor.

I'm no expert, but I really want to be. It's the technical aspects of photography that are fascinating. Understanding Bayer arrays and demosaicing, the components of exposure and how they are related (and can be duplicated with other functions and settings)... Anyone can take a pic. I want to be able to compose incredible ones.

As I'm sure you know by now but still, lighting, lighting, lighting. Really play around and understand lighting and master that and you are 95% there.

As I'm sure you know by now but still, lighting, lighting, lighting. Really play around and understand lighting and master that and you are 95% there.
Pretty much... "painting with light" is what my photog teacher always said.

I'd say I dabble...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/megalime/

and I'll be the nth person to repeat it, but gear isn't anything. I've gotten more than a few great shots on my olympus om1 film camera with the cheapest roll of b+w i could buy, and you can pick up an OM1 for nothing nowadays.

and I'm a whore for wide angle and primes, but I'm a big fan of the midrange zoom when I'm just walking around/hiking/birthdays/have no plans for anything/etc. 2.8 is fast enough for MOST things, and I'm more of a candid/landscape guy anyways, so i don't need 1.8/1.4 most of the time, and I like the flexibility for the moving subjects. That, and a midrange zoom is like, required for wedding photography (except for the portraits)

I think no matter how much you spend on a camera or what equipment you buy, having a good eye for composition, setting, framing and lighting are much more important things. I can take a great picture with my point and shoot. I can take a crappy picture with excellent equipment. I don't have great equipment right now, but someday I might. I learned from lots of experience that no matter how good you are, most people only take a good picture like 1 in 10 times. Of course sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the day. I minored in photography in college. A lot has changed since then. I miss the days of darkroom innovation. I do love digital stuff too though, it's just such a different world.

A man after my own heart.

Last edited:
He was almost 9. He died from bone cancer. Well, technically euthanasia. A month after diagnosis. That tumor grew so fast I didn't even have time to come to terms with it. My buddy was just gone.

He was almost 9. He died from bone cancer. Well, technically euthanasia. A month after diagnosis. That tumor grew so fast I didn't even have time to come to terms with it. My buddy was just gone.

I feel you there man. Jet was the best dog, EVER. He died when he was....12, i think. He had a brain tumor, started seizing one night and that was it. He was a blood donor dog at an animal hospital for a few years after he retired, and then we got him. i havent actually had a dog since him, really. We took in a family members dog, but he was trained as a guard dog, and we just couldnt break him of it. My grandmother entered the house once without knocking and the dog bit her HARD twice. gave him away to the junkyard down the street, last i knew he lived out his days guarding the junk cars at night.