Hawt The UF Photography Thread for Photos that are Artsy, Vacationy, or Professionalsy.

Some people enjoy the finer things in life
Paying $12 for a 12 oz. Bud LIght at a concert doesn't make it finer. You can lose or ruin that $320 tripod just as easily as the $150 one. A tripod is not rocket science. The finite money would be better spent on a better camera body, lens, light meter,etc.

wish I could afford a manfrotto but it is definitely not in the cards soon
We have a really nice, large tripod we bought off the father of a friend. I just went and looked since I was curious about the brand. HAhAHAHA. It's a Manfrotto. I paid $60. It never gets taken out of the house, in permanent position in front of my photo box for shooting products I sell.
Look on ebay or craigslist, maybe you can score one cheap.

my friend had a manfrotto that we used for all of our video work in high school. I was between freelancing and taking 7 film classes back then, having a nice tripod was an incredible asset.

in all honesty, I haven't really used tripods much since. I have 3 or 4, all bought at the time I needed them for <$50 and all accomplished their purpose to some degree. since getting out of the video world I haven't had nearly the use for them unless I'm doing landscape work.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and adi
my friend had a manfrotto that we used for all of our video work in high school. I was between freelancing and taking 7 film classes back then, having a nice tripod was an incredible asset.

in all honesty, I haven't really used tripods much since. I have 3 or 4, all bought at the time I needed them for <$50 and all accomplished their purpose to some degree. since getting out of the video world I haven't had nearly the use for them unless I'm doing landscape work.
I photograph a lot of vintage digital watches and yeah, try pushing a button on the watch, getting your hand out of the way and take the shot in the 2-3 seconds you have until it goes back to some other function without a tripod and a remote shutter. Plus I'm kind of jiggly - I need all the help I can get. :rolleyes: This Manfrotto is a tank - cast iron and heavy aluminum tubes. Probably weighs 12-15 kgs. FFS.

• Gravy
Reactions: definitely
in all honesty, I haven't really used tripods much since. I have 3 or 4,
I usually dont either, but I've got the opportunity for some fairly nice night shots coming up during some work travel and want to ensure I can get them.

Got a nice heavy one I picked up at an antique/thrift store a couple years back. Does more than enough for me, but it's too damn long when all collapsed and it's pretty fucking heavy no matter what.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I usually dont either, but I've got the opportunity for some fairly nice night shots coming up during some work travel and want to ensure I can get them.

Got a nice heavy one I picked up at an antique/thrift store a couple years back. Does more than enough for me, but it's too damn long when all collapsed and it's pretty fucking heavy no matter what.

for simple enough shots, the andoer collapses to 18" I think and is light enough that I had it on my back while hiking in europe easily.

this was the one I got I think? I use amazon ca so not sure if it's the exact same but looks the same.

https://www.amazon. com/Andoer-Lightweight-Universal-Smartphone-Smartphones/dp/B07F1GPWXR/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=andoer+travel+tripod&qid=1566316832&s=gateway&sr=8-4

definitely feels plasticky and stiff but for holding your camera still it'll do the trick.

@APRIL

Ever designed a watermark? I'm thinking about doing so. I've got the basics, but I've got one area on it that I'd like to be able to adapt to the most dominant color in the photo. Any clue if that's possible to do automatically with photoshop?

Let me know if I need to explain it better.

• Haha
@APRIL

Ever designed a watermark? I'm thinking about doing so. I've got the basics, but I've got one area on it that I'd like to be able to adapt to the most dominant color in the photo. Any clue if that's possible to do automatically with photoshop?

Let me know if I need to explain it better.
Adobe light room does watermarks.

[Manually]
In regular(or old) Photoshop the easiest way to find the dominant color is to select Image -> Mode -> Indexed Color
then in the popup you select what algorithm should be used for the color reduction and how many colors you want to reduce the image to. A good choice is one of the "Local: Perceptual/Selective/Adaptive". Restrict yourself to say 50 colors for sanity. Once you have converted the image to Index Colors you can see the color palette by opening Image -> Mode -> Color Table. That window also allows you to save the colors as an ACT palette file. Then through a combination of MAgic Wand -> Image, replace color and possibly eyedropper you can make your changes. Unfortunately, dominant colors are usually black and white - also the easiest for people to just guess and fill using Magic Wand and replace color. Add: COlor table is nice because you can individually turn off/on idividual colors to find the one that really would suck trying to re-insert. The real objective, usually.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: Frau Blugher
[Manually]
In regular(or old) Photoshop the easiest way to find the dominant color is to select Image -> Mode -> Indexed Color
then in the popup you select what algorithm should be used for the color reduction and how many colors you want to reduce the image to. A good choice is one of the "Local: Perceptual/Selective/Adaptive". Restrict yourself to say 50 colors for sanity. Once you have converted the image to Index Colors you can see the color palette by opening Image -> Mode -> Color Table. That window also allows you to save the colors as an ACT palette file. Then through a combination of MAgic Wand -> Image, replace color and possibly eyedropper you can make your changes. Unfortunately, dominant colors are usually black and white - also the easiest for people to just guess and fill using Magic Wand and replace color. Add: COlor table is nice because you can individually turn off/on idividual colors to find the one that really would suck trying to re-insert. The real objective, usually.
I 've selected matching colors this way and then adjusted with opacity .
Are there other legal things done with watermarks for intellectual property is my question though as i've made a shit tonne of art work for my streaming play lists ,

• Gravy