Baby The Talk

Yeah after you talked about things here I spoke with others and looked at all sorts of books. I thought this would be the most interesting to him at this age and I was right. The others were too technical and boring or too fluffy. I wanted realistic yet something he'd want to read. This one was perfect so thank you for posting about it! We'll go through it all this summer but he read all the comics today in it and asked a couple questions.

Like you I want open and honest talks. I definitely want him comfortable talking about it.

I need to figure out something for math this summer. Not sure what we'll do. More complex dvision I think (using basic algebra) might be wise.

I think they'll do cursive this year in school but he asked me to teach him this summer a couple months ago so he can read some things he's seen in books better.

We're done for the year though. We'll take this week and next kind of off before we dive into the other subjects.

Do you guys have DREAMBOX in the states

It's an app that is for math. Millions of math games and questions and activities that his teacher has access to and see his progress
We have it in his iPad

We also go to math-aids.com and i print lots of stuff for him and he does really fun exercises

But the app is awesome
It's connected to his school and I can see the progress as well

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum

It's an app that is for math. Millions of math games and questions and activities that his teacher has access to and see his progress
We have it in his iPad

We also go to math-aids.com and i print lots of stuff for him and he does really fun exercises

But the app is awesome
Honestly I have no idea. We do have one for reading, but not sure about math.

Starting this coming year every kid is getting an iPad, iPad Pro w/ keyboard (what he'll get) or a MacBook Air (4th grade and up) so no idea what apps they have. I know they have stuff on their iPads in the classroom but not entirely sure what. I'm sure we'll see more come fall.

I plan to do paper work books since the whole program with technology for all the kids is changing this year.

Honestly I have no idea. We do have one for reading, but not sure about math.

Starting this coming year every kid is getting an iPad, iPad Pro w/ keyboard (what he'll get) or a MacBook Air (4th grade and up) so no idea what apps they have. I know they have stuff on their iPads in the classroom but not entirely sure what. I'm sure we'll see more come fall.

I plan to do paper work books since the whole program with technology for all the kids is changing this year.

Check out the math website
It's pretty good
He likes it and it's fun
But there is a membership fee
I paid 19.99 Canadian
So thats like free in America

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Check out the math website
It's pretty good
He likes it and it's fun
But there is a membership fee
I paid 19.99 Canadian
So thats like free in America
:lol:

I will check it out, though I do want to see what we'll get for free in the fall first. I'll have to go through stuff after our vacation to see what math I want him to do in the meantime.

:lol:

I will check it out, though I do want to see what we'll get for free in the fall first. I'll have to go through stuff after our vacation to see what math I want him to do in the meantime.

The grade 3s have a HUGE provincial wide 3 day exam starting in Monday.
It's a huge evaluation and the children are prepared for weeks.
We've been studying like crazy

It doesn't affect their final report cards but it gives the ministry of education a good idea of where the children stand and will (for lack of a better word) categorize them and see who needs help and whoa excelling

It's a system put in place to make sure kids don't slip thru the cracks academically
It's a big deal with 3rd graders
He's super nervous

The grade 3s have a HUGE provincial wide 3 day exam starting in Monday.
It's a huge evaluation and the children are prepared for weeks.
We've been studying like crazy

It doesn't affect their final report cards but it gives the ministry of education a good idea of where the children stand and will (for lack of a better word) categorize them and see who needs help and whoa excelling

It's a system put in place to make sure kids don't slip thru the cracks academically
It's a big deal with 3rd graders
He's super nervous
I gotta say I hate how much pressure tests put on kids. I mean it's fine to evaluate kids to make sure they are on track, but to have to study like crazy at age 9? Not a fan

They evaluated our kid at the beginning of the year last year and I just told him not to sweat it. He did excellent even without caring at all. I know kids who worry themselves sick over that kind of stuff.

I gotta say I hate how much pressure tests put on kids. I mean it's fine to evaluate kids to make sure they are on track, but to have to study like crazy at age 9? Not a fan

They evaluated our kid at the beginning of the year last year and I just told him not to sweat it. He did excellent even without caring at all. I know kids who worry themselves sick over that kind of stuff.
I agree completely. I especially dislike how our local schools have monetary incentives that they earn for good test scores by the kids. This encourages "teaching to the test" and even cheating by the teachers. It also punishes the children in poor-performing schools, usually located in economically disadvantaged areas. :/

all this baby talk

92741ab80a5c07d745319f53d74a8ead.jpg

Oh totally
I see the stress my NINE YEAR OLD is under
Like seriously ?

I too have told him not to worry about it and to just try his very best.

We have it in his iPad

But the app is awesome
My son is a whiz with those math studies online! He just received an award for it. The only one in his grade :D I assume it's the same thing as what you're talking about cuz it's connected to school, as well.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Whaaaaaat
They stopped making their randomly generated sheets available online, so I rolled my own. It's a little C program that I give a few parameters (number of problems, nature of the problems - e.g. + or - operations, and range of operands) and it generates a PDF in the directory I run it in.

In essence, I said, "heck with it, Imma make my own worksheet generator, with hookers, and blackjack!" And I did.