Ontopic The Super Fantastic Linux Goes Spastic Thread

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,350
So. I found myself in possession of a decent dual core laptop (IBM T60, 2gb, 100gb hd, dual core 1.99ghz centrino), and I was like 'Hmmm, what to do'.

I know!

UBUNTU!

So, this thread is dedicated to Linux/Ubuntu types, since I'm sure questions will abound as I learn to love an alteratech lifestyle.

Anyone else using, and, if so, what flavor on what kind of platform?

Used Gentoo for a while, gave up when things got busy and I didn't feel like fiddling with it any more.

My ex installed gentoo as soon as it came out as an unstable distro. Fiddled with it for weeks and creamed his pants everytime he got his 6 sided rotating cube sorted. As soon as all the graphics were working fine it died completely so he went back to ubuntu. :lol:

I use CentOS mostly, running Apache, iRedMail, Proftpd (updated last night to latest version due to security vulnerability), Mysql, and other services for myself and friends on a colocated box. IPCop on my home router box. CentOS running Asterisk for a client's VoIP phone system. That's about it. I'm using XP and 7 on my home desktop computers, mainly due to being able to easily play games.

edit: In the past I've dabbled with Ubuntu, SuSE, and Fedora Core.

If you're unfamiliar with Linux, Ubuntu is the way to go. Its slowly becoming THE desktop linux OS. Use gentoo if you're a complete nerd and want Linux to really piss you off.

And ya, CentOS > * for servers

If you're unfamiliar with Linux, and only browse the web and chat with people, Ubuntu is the way to go. Its slowly becoming THE desktop linux OS. Use gentoo if you're a complete nerd and want Linux to really piss you off.

And ya, CentOS > * for servers

Fixed.

I've been screwing around with Google Chrome OS at work. It's actually pretty good. Much more similar to windows than Ubuntu is.

What's the firewall application of choice for you Linux users? I'm seeing a few of them in the software center

http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html

I used to use APF, but I prefer CSF since it automatically updates the BOGON lists, provides e-mail alerts when users log into the server or do something they shouldn't, etc. I'm pretty sure CPanel includes this now as a 3rd party addon.

If you prefer, you can build your own firewall script here: http://www.mista.nu/iptables/ or http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-fedorta-linux-iptables-firewall-configuration-tutorial/
If your linux box is behind a NAT router, I wouldn't bother with a firewall especially if you aren't 100% familiar with linux.

Great, now Im going to have to switch. THANKS FOR MAKING WORK FOR ME HAWK

edit: I didn't see it as an addon for cpanel, crap.

Last edited:
Yeah CSF is the shit. Way better script. APF isn't as actively developed as it once was a couple years ago. CSF needs some minor tweaking to get it to ignore certain processes that spawn, but are okay, like spamd and stuff like that. The only problem I have is getting it to allow DCC to work through it. Have added the appropriate incoming and outgoing ports & allowed the dccd and cdcc processes, but still blocks it :(