The Snow

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥21,087
Ok now this is getting retarded. I've lived in places where it has snowed more, albeit briefly, but not almost in March. Something like this happening in say, November wouldnt put me off as much, or this happening when I lived in the mountains (Star Lake and yes NY has mountains).

It rained for a bunch of days, which isnt shocking around here (we are more overcast than Seattle, and get about as must precipitation). Then it snowed, kinda queer, for the end of January. Then it blizzarded, which was also kinda queer but not crazy. Then it snowed again, so I took some pics.

37245ce82484ef08.jpg

Then... It snowed again? So some more pics...

37245d38a2d4ea45.jpg

37245d5695a729ec.jpg

Then it snowed last night (no pics).

Now it is BLIZZARDING AGAIN.

37245d5695a7aac7.jpg

37245d5695a76097.jpg

It is also COLD-COLD. Now for you southerners to explain the difference between cold and COLD. For it to snow it has to be cold outside. This is in the 10-20 range (20-30 not being much different than 30+). One can adapt to it and it feels ok to go outside in a jacket and pants. Now COLD is the 5-10F range. This is when your nostrils freeze when you inhale, and by which I mean they actually stick together and you get dehydrated if you breathe the air too long, one can get used to it for short periods. COLD-COLD is -20 - 5F (these temps dont take into account windchill so assume about another -40% for that if you like) this is when spit freezes before it hits the ground. It is a thouroughly uncomfortable temperature range. You will get ill breathing the air, you cannot do much because if you wear enough clothes to stay warm in this weather you will sweat if your heartrate gets up, and if you sweat you will not stay warm.

For the record I'd be better off in Moscow than here:

High: 14° F
Chance precip: 20%
Cloudy skies early, followed by partial clearing. Cold. High 14F.

Syracuse* NY:

High
21° F
Precip: 100%
Snow along with gusty winds at times. High 21F. Winds W at 20 to 30 mph. Snow accumulating 3 to 5 inches. Heavier amounts in persistent snowbands.

Current weather advisory says:

MADISON-NORTHERN ONEIDA-ONONDAGA- SOUTHERN ONEIDA- 235 AM EST FRI FEB 16 2007

...HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL IMPACT THE REGION OVERNIGHT...

A BAND OF VERY HEAVY SNOW WILL EXTEND ACROSS NORTHERN ONONDAGA AND NORTHERN MADISON COUNTIES...STRETCHING INTO ONEIDA COUNTY THROUGH AT LEAST 5 AM. THE HEAVIEST SNOW SHOULD STAY ALONG OR JUST NORTH OF THE THRUWAY...FROM BALDWINSVILLE...TO PHOENIX... BREWERTON...AND CLAY...THEN FURTHER EAST TOWARDS LAKEPORT AND ONEIDA. WITHIN THIS HEAVY BAND...SNOWFALL INTENSITIES OF AS MUCH AS 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR COULD OCCUR. ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE...BETWEEN 2 AM AND 5 AM.

My property abuts the northern edge of the thruway kekeke. Snowbands btw are impromptu blizzards where the wind whips up to 50mph and snow hits at the same time. You can literally drive through multiples of them in a few miles. Blue sky, whiteout, blue sky, whiteout.

Couldnt say how much snow is out there because it settles during the day and weather.com there says 2inches. Since it's up to my chest Im just going to ignore them. It's been well over 10ft and about 2 feet tonight. Around the house, it is up to the windows (9ft over the ground) and in the windswept yard it is up to about my neck (5'5").

I'm bored. :(

Edit: no idea why the pics arent auto-resizing o_O

Last edited:
Snow sucks, I think because it didn't really snow yet here this winter they forgot how to clean roads around Boston :mad:

I didn't ride to work during the storm on Wednesday, cuz it was alternating rain/sleet/snow making a lovely lumpy ice crust everywhere.

Yesterday I had to go in to the office for a meeting, the side streets were STILL largely un or half assedly plowed. Made it to my building, and then discovered they didn't bother to plow the parking spots at all so I had to go park in a garage :rant:

Fried my nerves on the way home with the 45+ mph wind gusts on the starting-to-re-ice roads :omy: even took an unplowed road to avoid some wind gusts on another

The pile was closer to 8 feet and from the plowed roads, not reall snow fort material.

You people are all insane, when it snows you run from it, not vacation in it.

I'm from the Nordic land of the midnight sun. Snow is what fills the goblets of Valhalla.