Ontopic The Shooting Thread

the problem is if he is once again going to be written off as a mentally ill "lone wolf," as if what he did isn't the natural consequences of the bigoted rhetoric he and many others consume.

y'all are giving Hoggz a rash of shit right now, but this coordinated dehumanization through language and propaganda and law (both de facto and de jure) is exactly what allows people to join in or sit by as shit slides further into hell.
Manson didn't kill anyone, still in jail. Precedent is set, time to follow through.

it is also emotionally exhausting to constantly play the role of Cassandra, when you hit your limit, patience is one of the first things to go. sometimes I have the energy to try to explain things, and sometimes all I can do is tell someone to eat my shit and hair. I've been selfishly disengaged from a lot of discourse lately because I want to save that energy for my kid - I don't want to spend all of my patience engaging in arguments with people who are dedicated to their ignorance* and then not have any left for her.

* this is a general description that includes people not on UF/this is not me calling anyone here that; I'm including FB arguments etc.
I'm at a similar place where I'm consciously attempting to disengage from keeping up with much of the shitshow, and I don't feel great about it. I'm pretty sure that humans have simply reached the limit of our capabilities as a species and suffering and extinction is inevitable. So why care? (LWhich is a selfish outlook afforded by privilege, of course. I also have a bit of worry about how the trail of data I leave behind might mark me an undesirable in the future.

I'd love to just have an empty head. "Doctor My Eyes"

I'm not sure describing your redirection of energy to your kid as "selfish" really hits the nail anywhere near the head...
well, some people don't have the luxury of disengaging. when your existence is politicized, when you are visibly Other, you don't always get to make the choice not to waste your energy on that stuff because it will be dumped on you despite your best efforts, and that's one of the reasons why it's important for people who DO have a choice to do what they can to choose engagement so the burden can in some small way be shared, even if it only means they get room for one more straw before vertebral fracture.

but I've also been super socially disengaged as well. a glut of friends' deaths has made my already socially anxious and inept ass absolutely terrified of fostering friendships so I've replaced almost all social interaction with documenting all the terrestrial arthropods I can find. if I have something to focus on at all times (my kid, my work, and bugs), then I don't have to think about how everything is terrible forever, or how much worse it's going to get, and I can focus on trying to raise my kid to be kind and just without also passing on the crippling despair at what a Sisyphean feat it is to hope for better.

Oh apparently the perpetrator was an antifa furry now, wtf

Some furries are okay.
s4cushy7uvy81.jpg

Probably still fine to bully them, though.