Ontopic The Shooting Thread

If only infrastructure just meant shit like bridges and roads and ports and stuff.

Meanwhile here in texas some kid shoots 4 people at school but it's ok because he's a black kid with rich parents who must've been "bullied" so walks in 24 hours on 75k bail and there is no media stampede about guns or privilege or whatever.

I disagree with the FBI definition of "mass" only requiring 3.
That is weird. Looks like it was 3 shot, 4th(preggers lady) fell. But he discharged the gun allegedly 7-8 times. The intent was certainly there. "aggravated assault" - wtf? Not sure how or where infrastructure should be shored up against that kind of shit. Considering we own MORE than one gun per person in USA, which is almost 2.5X more than the next closest country. I think mass shooting might depend on intent. Like, that kid probably only wanted to cap one person initially, then other people got involved.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
If only infrastructure just meant shit like bridges and roads and ports and stuff.

Meanwhile here in texas some kid shoots 4 people at school but it's ok because he's a black kid with rich parents who must've been "bullied" so walks in 24 hours on 75k bail and there is no media stampede about guns or privilege or whatever.

I disagree with the FBI definition of "mass" only requiring 3.
Human infrastructure is a thing too.

We need to ban bow and arrows.

And sledge hammers.
Cueing Peter Gabriel...

Human infrastructure is a thing too.
Imo it's just a made-up marketing term, at least in the way they're trying to use it to peddle their current spending plans. We're already seeing inflation from what they (both R & D) have done already. It'll only make it worse with no future return on the current hurt.
Everything all the way down to the basics is either costs more, has less in the package for the same money, or both. Doesn't matter if you're talking about big industry items or Ritz crackers. Tossing in trillions more dollars that aren't based on any increased productivity or material gains will only make it worse.

Not saying I have the right solution, but I do know this one ain't it.

• Gravy
Not made up. Traces back to the 70s. I actually didnt even know the President had started using the term, i just always saw these things as fitting in that category

• Gravy
Not made up. Traces back to the 70s. I actually didnt even know the President had started using the term, i just always saw these things as fitting in that category

I read this so I'm not just going off half cocked or whatever. It seems to me hard infrastructure is what enables soft infrastructure and following down the line "human infrastructure".

The "soft" follow-ons won't happen without the hard being in place first. The argument would be where the collective "hard" transitions into (and it may be a fuzzy transition) the more local, community, and personal "soft" state.
Just another argument about collective vs. individual. I'll lean one way, you lean the other, that's okay.

• Gravy
IMO, your opinion is stupid and poorly informed. As domon says, been around for a while.
I don't think stuff that is "living memory" for folks who still count as middle-aged counts as "been around for awhile".
Doesn't mean it's good or bad or whatever, just means over the course of history it amounts to a flash in the pan. People dream up new shit all the time, whether through the emotional "I wish life could be my way" or through the publish or perish conundrum. That doesn't mean any of it has any credence one way or the other.
Takes a lot more than that to establish something as "the way it is" or to even give (relatively) new terms real meaning.

• Gravy
Imo it's just a made-up marketing term, at least in the way they're trying to use it to peddle their current spending plans. We're already seeing inflation from what they (both R & D) have done already. It'll only make it worse with no future return on the current hurt.
Everything all the way down to the basics is either costs more, has less in the package for the same money, or both. Doesn't matter if you're talking about big industry items or Ritz crackers. Tossing in trillions more dollars that aren't based on any increased productivity or material gains will only make it worse.

Not saying I have the right solution, but I do know this one ain't it.
Depends what those big industry items are. Construction is big busienss - construction dollars for roads will be enjoyed for years and the jobs will be nice now. Other infrastructure projects will also give long term benefits. I know, I know, people you don't like are going to be spending our money. Nothing's changed. peace.

I don't think stuff that is "living memory" for folks who still count as middle-aged counts as "been around for awhile".
Doesn't mean it's good or bad or whatever, just means over the course of history it amounts to a flash in the pan. People dream up new shit all the time, whether through the emotional "I wish life could be my way" or through the publish or perish conundrum. That doesn't mean any of it has any credence one way or the other.
Takes a lot more than that to establish something as "the way it is" or to even give (relatively) new terms real meaning.
Society and possibilities are constantly changing, especially in the last hundred years. You can't rest too heavily on history or on it repeating itself. If the underlying circumstances are different, results will be different. imo ;)

• Gravy
At what point did you decide you'd learned everything and all new information must necessarily be wrong?

At what point did you decide you'd learned everything and all new information must necessarily be wrong?
That's a whole hell of a lot of assumptions in a Twitter length group of words there pal, perhaps you could expound a bit?