the sad plight of the pacific northwest tree octopus

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
Maryland
Marklar
₥797
http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/treeoctopus.html

"The Pacific Northwest tree octopus (Octopus paxarbolis) can be found in the temperate rainforests of the Olympic Peninsula on the west coast of North America. Their habitat lies on the Eastern side of the Olympic mountain range, adjacent to Hood Canal. These solitary cephalopods reach an average size (measured from arm-tip to mantle-tip,) of 30-33 cm. Unlike most other cephalopods, tree octopuses are amphibious, spending only their early life and the period of their mating season in their ancestrial aquatic environment. Because of the moistness of the rainforests and specialized skin adaptations, they are able to keep from becoming desiccated for prolonged periods of time, but given the chance they would prefer resting in pooled water."

"Although the tree octopus is not officially listed on the Endangered Species List, we feel that it should be added since its numbers are at a critically low level for its breeding needs. The reasons for this dire situation include: decimation of habitat by logging and suburban encroachment; building of roads that cut off access to the water which it needs for spawning; predation by foreign species such as house cats; and booming populations of its natural predators, including the bald eagle and sasquatch. What few that make it to the Canal are further hampered in their reproduction by the growing problem of pollution from farming and residential run-off. Unless immediate action is taken to protect this species and its habitat, the Pacific Northwest tree octopus will be but a memory."

motherofgod3b4.jpg

Galen said:
It's good to see you back IBWIP. I'm actually posting before I read the story, but I'm so excited! Oh joy of joys.
fly said:
How's the schnozz, IBWIP?

Wholly crap! People missed me. I'm touched!

I'm actually starting to feel a lot better, as in even a little better than I felt before getting the insides of my face chopped up. I'm still looking forward to being able to blow my nose under my own power, though. I don't want to force the issue lest I bust a seam someplace and end up with a nosebleed... and I don't mean a nosebleed like "I got punched in the nose and I have a nosebleed" nosebleed. More like a "that scene in the Shining when the elevator doors open and the blood comes out" nosebleed. That would be bad.

itburnswhenipee said:
Wholly crap! People missed me. I'm touched!

I'm actually starting to feel a lot better, as in even a little better than I felt before getting the insides of my face chopped up. I'm still looking forward to being able to blow my nose under my own power, though. I don't want to force the issue lest I bust a seam someplace and end up with a nosebleed... and I don't mean a nosebleed like "I got punched in the nose and I have a nosebleed" nosebleed. More like a "that scene in the Shining when the elevator doors open and the blood comes out" nosebleed. That would be bad.
Did/does it hurt pretty badly?

fly said:
Did/does it hurt pretty badly?

The first couple days were a bit of a haze, but yeah, it hurt. Also, having the stints in place for a week is really uncomfortable-- it felt like I'd been snorting legos or something. I was fucking ecstatic when those come out. Oh, and having the two really huge plugs removed on the second day was no joy, but those were from the septum correction, I think, and not from the sinus surgery.

I guess it could kind of be compared to having a bad sinus headache combined with feeling like you've been punched hard in the face for a a couple of weeks.