Baby The Official Baby/Fetus/BirthCanal Thread

My 13 year old is the same. He can have legible handwriting but only if he’s really trying and that’s a rare occasion.

My son has always had illegible handwriting except when he writes something on the grocery list. He learned after I came home too many times with blrghhthy.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
my kiddo has been having the opposite problem, not enough messes. she is still struggling with constipation & I have to keep giving her glycerin suppositories just to help her pass golf balls of shit (and then the barrage of backed up poo that follows). switching to the formula that's supposed to help with constipation has not helped, nor has a steady diet of prunes & apples for her solids. her pediatrician suggested giving Miralax and apple juice, so we're going to try that starting tonight. she just gets so uncomfortable, last night she was inconsolable & just thrashing until I did the suppository, then she shit her guts out and slept for like 10 hours.

gastric stuff sucks. Its super hard to get right, especially if you've gotta use formula.

We ended up having to mix two different colors (1/3 blue similiac, 2/3 orange) to balance out horrible gas pains, vs puke it up immediately if you went too far in one direcitonor the the other

• Gravy
Reactions: august
my kiddo has been having the opposite problem, not enough messes. she is still struggling with constipation & I have to keep giving her glycerin suppositories just to help her pass golf balls of shit (and then the barrage of backed up poo that follows). switching to the formula that's supposed to help with constipation has not helped, nor has a steady diet of prunes & apples for her solids. her pediatrician suggested giving Miralax and apple juice, so we're going to try that starting tonight. she just gets so uncomfortable, last night she was inconsolable & just thrashing until I did the suppository, then she shit her guts out and slept for like 10 hours.
Poor baby. Hopefully you figure out something soon. That’s not fun for baby or mom and dad.

The Miralax is a good idea - soft, water retaining fiber. Prunes are acidic and they and apples are mainly a lot of roughage(non-digestible, NON-water retaining fiber). Poor kiddo - hope you get it sorted out.
I think we maybe talked about this before, but I might just be having deja vu - I think the intended benefit of something like apple juice is the osmotic effect on the colon, & I guess I was just thinking it would be the same mechanism in pureed form since that's basically Juice+. some of the other suggested foods for helping are sweet potato, pears, peas, and spinach, which she also gets plenty of (except maybe peas). fingers crossed the Miralax helps! we tried apple juice before, but she hadn't started any solids yet and was Not A Fan of apple juice, but it may have just been because she wasn't able to use a sippy cup yet and didn't expect that flavor/consistency from a bottle.

I think we maybe talked about this before, but I might just be having deja vu - I think the intended benefit of something like apple juice is the osmotic effect on the colon, & I guess I was just thinking it would be the same mechanism in pureed form since that's basically Juice+. some of the other suggested foods for helping are sweet potato, pears, peas, and spinach, which she also gets plenty of (except maybe peas). fingers crossed the Miralax helps! we tried apple juice before, but she hadn't started any solids yet and was Not A Fan of apple juice, but it may have just been because she wasn't able to use a sippy cup yet and didn't expect that flavor/consistency from a bottle.
Yeah, the prune juice is the same as the apple juice in regards to the osmotic but even worse - lots of sorbitol(sugar). Leads to gas and feeds a bad gut bacteria colony. Pears are good for fiber and little sorbitol, more erythritol which gut bacteria can't ferment and has no osmotic effect.
I wonder if someday they'll suggest something for babies that's becoming pretty common for adults -mushroom powder. After you remove the water and air, they are almost completely non-digestible, water soluble fiber. I'm betting the Miralax helps big time. Fingers crossed here too.

• Gravy
is she having enough water? i dont know much at all about babies but was just talking to a friend of mine who's 1 year old niece gets constipated if she doesnt have enough water

• Gravy