Baby The Official Baby/Fetus/BirthCanal Thread

oh yeah, we got the go ahead to start real food. anyone with recent-ish kids got any tips? the pediatrician discussed doing commonly allergenic foods (eggs, peanuts, etc) earlier but not first, & meats early on, & not needing to start with cereals, but I'm looking for some IRL experiences/suggestions. we are thinking about starting with carrot? and then sweet potato? those seem to be recommended for first ones bc the sweetness makes it more likely to be accepted

(recent-ish kids not a firm requirement, but recommendations have changed in recent years so something a pediatrician told you in the past might not still be the current recommendation)

I'm firmly in the "appease the kid" camp wrt babby food.

Try a wide variety of samples and see if you can get her to react to one or more of them. Keep buying the "good" reactions, try maybe once or twice more with the "bad" reactions. The important thing is to keep the kid growing, not necessarily to develop a broad palette.

• Gravy
Reactions: august
I'm firmly in the "appease the kid" camp wrt babby food.

Try a wide variety of samples and see if you can get her to react to one or more of them. Keep buying the "good" reactions, try maybe once or twice more with the "bad" reactions. The important thing is to keep the kid growing, not necessarily to develop a broad palette.
I can't help but judge.

oh yeah, we got the go ahead to start real food. anyone with recent-ish kids got any tips? the pediatrician discussed doing commonly allergenic foods (eggs, peanuts, etc) earlier but not first, & meats early on, & not needing to start with cereals, but I'm looking for some IRL experiences/suggestions. we are thinking about starting with carrot? and then sweet potato? those seem to be recommended for first ones bc the sweetness makes it more likely to be accepted
holy hell, is she 6 mo already?

The pouches are the way to go at first, essentially no chew items. Carrots do not get soft enough to be chewed by a kid with no teeth easily.

They make these things called mum mums that are basically sweetened communion wafter thatll develop hand eye coordination and dissolve in the kids mouth

No chunky stuff for a couple of months or so, too easy to choke.

Avocado and banana are easy. I didn’t buy baby food with the last one, just fed her real food. Roasted veggies mash up well, berries, unsweetened applesauce, yogurt, pastas after she’s done a bunch of fruits and veggies. There are some good homemade baby food cookbooks out there with combo ideas. Also baby led weaning is great to look into.